Hi from newbie in central North Carolina, US, interested in native plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’m so happy to find this group! I have a new three-level recirculation pond that catches rain water from the roof in a basin, sends it down a trough to an artificial stream, past a connected bog garden, down to the main pond, and then to a smaller lower pond. enough rain will make the water spill down to an unlined rain garden, which gives the water a chance to soak in over a few days.

I’m an experienced gardener new to ponds. I’d appreciate any suggestions about native water lilies and other plants. I’m in an area that is transitioning between 7b to 8a and the garden is partly sunny
. 40142912-69E1-46A9-A736-DF8B68F5E974.jpeg3FCE59C0-620B-463D-89B4-E614AFBF869D.jpeg92A3FB8B-809D-4BA2-ACA8-980CBAFC6868.jpeg

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m so happy to find this group! I have a new three-level recirculation pond that catches rain water from the roof in a basin, sends it down a trough to an artificial stream, past a connected bog garden, down to the main pond, and then to a smaller lower pond. enough rain will make the water spill down to an unlined rain garden, which gives the water a chance to soak in over a few days.

I’m an experienced gardener new to ponds. I’d appreciate any suggestions about native water lilies and other plants. I’m in an area that is transitioning between 7b to 8a and the garden is partly sunny
.View attachment 136197View attachment 136198View attachment 136199
very nice! welcome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Linda! You have a very creative pond. Your state has a wide selection of native plants well suited for your landscape and bog garden. Some of the Trillium plants are quite pretty. And the carnivore, Sarracenia minor which is a NC native plant. Glad to have you as a member!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! I would contact your local extension office. I bet they could suggest some good lists of native plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the show .
@JBtheExplorer is all about native gardening though he's not in your area im pretty sure he can steer you in the right direction.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those from my experience like wet feet and not sitting in the water . i Used sand and peat mixed them together and then made a pile in the bog knowing both the peat and the sand will absorb moisture always keeping the carnies damp which is what they like. I made a stagnant bog where there's no up flow in the bog for them
SAJ_0184.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Be sure to test your water ph, be sure it’s good for the plants you choose. If your not on direct well water, the water ph may have been altered, and well water may have a different ph than surface water.

Ask a Question