Native Gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My milkweed varieties are blooming now. Yay!
IMG_7672.jpeg

Showy Milkweed, although I’m in the process of removing it from my yard. It comes up EVERYWHERE surrounding the main plant. Not my type of milkweed.
IMG_7596.jpeg

Antelope Horn milkweed. Not native to OH, but hardy here. I winter sowed the seeds for this in 2021, this is the first year it has bloomed. Really cool flowers! The closed pods are the bloom before it opens.
IMG_7493.jpeg

Cinderella swamp milkweed cultivar
IMG_7494.jpeg

My absolute favorite milkweed, Orange Butterfly Weed. I have at least a dozen of these plants in my yard!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My milkweed varieties are blooming now. Yay!
View attachment 158093
Showy Milkweed, although I’m in the process of removing it from my yard. It comes up EVERYWHERE surrounding the main plant. Not my type of milkweed.
View attachment 158094
Antelope Horn milkweed. Not native to OH, but hardy here. I winter sowed the seeds for this in 2021, this is the first year it has bloomed. Really cool flowers! The closed pods are the bloom before it opens.
View attachment 158095
Cinderella swamp milkweed cultivar
View attachment 158096
My absolute favorite milkweed, Orange Butterfly Weed. I have at least a dozen of these plants in my yard!!!
Very pretty and bet you have a ton of butterflies! For some reason we have a ton of yellow and black striped ones this year. Never seen so many!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are monarch if I'm not mistaken they are having a very rough time lately with heat fires smoke etc. I've heard their migratory paths have altered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Blooming natives in our yard now. 🥰
New England Aster just starting to bloom
IMG_9689.jpeg
Grey headed coneflower
IMG_9688.jpeg
Rattlesnake Master
IMG_9687.jpeg
Culver’s Root
IMG_9686.jpeg
Senna
IMG_9684.jpeg
Dutchman’s Pipevine
IMG_9678.jpeg
Pipevine Swallowtail eggs! I watched a female come daily for hours each day, laying eggs. I brought some of them inside to raise. 🥰
IMG_9682.jpeg
Compass plant. Brought this plant with me to OH from IL when we moved in 2020. This is the second year it has bloomed. It’s nearly 10’ tall! Not sure how I’ll get some of the seeds protected so I can collect them to grow in winter. Birds love them, I found out too late last fall.
IMG_9677.jpeg
Sweet Scented Joe Pye
IMG_9676.jpeg
Button bush. I collected the seeds for this plant back in IL when I failed to dig up a plant in the road ditch near where I lived in the country. Finally got them to germinate 2 years ago.
IMG_9674.jpeg
This is Prairie Mimosa, not the tree form seen in yards. It grows in a bush form, very interesting flowers and seed pods. I collected seeds last year from an OH park.
IMG_9673.jpeg
Great Coneflower
IMG_9671.jpeg
Mountain Mint
IMG_9670.jpeg
This is a cultivar, so not native, but still very beautiful Cardinal Lobelia with the burgundy leaves. My native cardinal lobelia isn’t blooming quite yet. Next week they will explode! I have about a dozen plants of the native variety.
IMG_9669.jpeg
Native monarda
IMG_9664.jpeg
Tall garden phlox
IMG_9668.jpeg
Spotted Bee Balm
IMG_9661.jpeg
Whorled Milkweed
IMG_9662.jpeg
Not a native, but one of 9 varieties of milkweed I have in our yard. This one is really unique, called Antelope Milkweed. (Common and Showy milkweed are not allowed due to multiplying by rhizomes)
IMG_9663.jpeg
Blazing Star liatris
IMG_9660.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
More natives.
Nodding onion. I also love the cultivar of this called Millenium Allium. Bees and all pollinators love it, too!
IMG_9656.jpeg
Purple coneflower
IMG_9655.jpeg
Boneset
IMG_9654.jpeg
I think this one is sneezeweed but could be black eyed Susan.
IMG_9653.jpeg
Spigelia … also called Indian Pink. Amazing flower! It’s the looming, first blooming was well over a month ago.
IMG_9652.jpeg
Orange Butterfly Weed. One of my favorite natives.
IMG_9651.jpeg
Royal Catchfly. Very sticky flowers and seed pods so will be a mess to collect seeds, but what an amazing native. Hummingbirds prefer it over anything else in our yard so far!
IMG_9649.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dang @CountryEscape didn't you just move into that place like 3 years ago and you have planted all those?

Ask a Question