Natural pond for wildlife only ( no fish)

Reaction score
I think I got to 13/14 not sure though. Gorgeous pond!!! Fat frogs!!!!!!

Question: Do you have your plants in pots and then set into the rock sides?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plants are in pots. I have also floating plants (stratiota aloide) but they are now underwater they will be back at surface in a few weeks when the temperature will rise. You can see these nice plants on these pictures.
image.jpg
image.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now those are cool and had to go look them up and found this:
Stratiotes aloides
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stratiotes aloides

Stratiotes aloides

Statiotes aloides, commonly known as the water soldier or water pineapple, is a submerged aquatic plant native to Europe and northwestern Asia. In Britain it was once common in East Anglia and still is in many places, particularly wet ditches and healthy ponds.

Description
S. aloides has a rosette of serrated leaves. White flowers are produced in the summer.

Ecological aspects
In the summer this plant floats on the water surface with the leaves just above the surface. In the Autumn they become covered with a slimy secretion (calcium carbonate) and the whole plant sinks to the bottom to rise again in the Spring. Fossils have been found of this plant.

Plants are dioecious, male and female plants must be grown if seed is required. Only the female plant occurs naturally in Britain, though plants with hermaphrodite flowers are also found occasionally. Seed is never set in Britain, the plants increasing mainly by offsets.

Cultivation
Most suitable for the cool aquarium or pond.

Propagation from runners which form from the centre of the rosette of leaves.

The herb has had a high reputation for treating wounds, especially when these are made by an iron implement. It is applied externally. The plant is also said to be of use in the treatment of St. Anthony's Fire and also of bruised kidneys.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
View attachment 66724 Not so easy. This ground is not flat, a bigger pond will mean a taller wall.

That was our problem.... our yard is sloped, plus I built a hill for our waterfall feeder, dug the pond into the hill I made and now the bog we're trying to build is in the flatter lower part of the yard, but it's still a bit sloped there too, so the back end of the bog will need a low berm. Oh the work we make for our selves! ... I love you're photos Francois43. Please keep posting. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Now those are cool and had to go look them up and found this:
Stratiotes aloides
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stratiotes aloides

Stratiotes aloides

Haro gave some of these to my wife and I. They lasted 2 seasons, but sadly, they didn't make a reappearance this year.

Ask a Question