natural swimming pond - flow

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Yeah, I was thinking the same, but I also would make sure there is one heck of a good UV sterilizer. I don't know... With a normal swimming pool, although please correct me if this is not correct, I think the reason chlorine is used is so to kill any "nasties" that might be introduced in the water due to humans swimming in the water so then possibly a UV-S might be required. This is what I never could figure out, that is how this was handled, when reading about the "natural" swimming ponds / pools.
1-2 of the NSP sites that I read did talk about UV sterilizers, but if that works, why don't normal swimming pools use it? Not as good as Ch? They just run water through a UV-S like in regular fish ponds.

And yes, humans do introduce nasties into swimming pool. I've read that it's mostly fecal bacteria. That's why swimming pools ask people to shower. They're too delicate to ask people to wash their butts. I see people washing or rinsing their bodies before they get into the pool, but people should be educated into washing their buttholes. Other people's sweat won't give you dysentery but a dirty anus will.

Most of the other NSP sites say that the planted regenerative areas kill bacteria which I know is complete BS as I don't think they know what they're talking about. Plants and their nitrogen fixing bacteria don't kill other bacteria. This is where ponders know more than NSP builders. However, I do think that aerated reactors will kill nasties, because things like gangrene don't like O2.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
1-2 of the NSP sites that I read did talk about UV sterilizers, but if that works, why don't normal swimming pools use it? Not as good as Ch? They just run water through a UV-S like in regular fish ponds.

And yes, humans do introduce nasties into swimming pool. I've read that it's mostly fecal bacteria. That's why swimming pools ask people to shower. They're too delicate to ask people to wash their butts. I see people washing or rinsing their bodies before they get into the pool, but people should be educated into washing their buttholes. Other people's sweat won't give you dysentery but a dirty anus will.

Most of the other NSP sites say that the planted regenerative areas kill bacteria which I know is complete BS as I don't think they know what they're talking about. Plants and their nitrogen fixing bacteria don't kill other bacteria. This is where ponders know more than NSP builders. However, I do think that aerated reactors will kill nasties, because things like gangrene don't like O2.

:eek:o_O Oh man, good thing I wasn't drinking a beer while I read that second paragraph; otherwise, it would've come out of my nose. Laughed out loud so hard, still laughing, cause it is so true. Man, that is funny. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Whether it is a strong oxidizer such as ozone injections or chlorine injections or electricity to run a UV-S, the decision is likely due to cost and other considerations. My guess chlorine is chosen since it is cheap in the long run dependent on how strong of a UV-S would be required to kill those pathogens. Also, I don't know if there is some type of carbon or some other type of medium that could absorb that bad stuff.

Last edited:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
:eek:o_O Oh man, good thing I wasn't drinking a beer while I read that second paragraph; otherwise, it would've come out of my nose. Laughed out loud so hard, still laughing, cause it is so true. Man, that is funny. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Whether it is a strong oxidizer such as ozone injections or chlorine injections or electricity to run a UV-S, the decision is likely due to cost and other considerations. My guess chlorine is chosen since it is cheap in the long run dependent on how strong of a UV-S would be required to kill those pathogens. Also, I don't know if there is some type of carbon or some other type of medium that could absorb that bad stuff.

Hmmm, well as a swimmer, I don't find it funny at all. I hate to see people who just wet themselves and get into the pool. And I hope they didn't just take a #2. Children are probably the worst since their levels of hygiene are not that great, to put it mildly.

I don't think media can absorb bacteria. But that got me thinking. Silver is a bactericide. My washing machine uses silver ions to kill bacteria. I'm wondering if the water can be run over a silver plated grate or something. But it can't be as simple as that. My washing machine runs a current through a piece of silver ($50 to replace) and it releases a small amount of silver ions. Not sure if I want to swim in a pool of silver ions and probably would need a lot of silver to kill bacteria.

What else kills bacteria? Salt. The pool would have to be heavily salted. No regular plants but an aerobic reactor could be used.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ewwwwwwwwwwwww now thinking of our nicely heated swimming pool down in the 55 plus area. Old folks are know for ummmmmmmmmm missed debris................yuck

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
ewwwwwwwwwwwww now thinking of our nicely heated swimming pool down in the 55 plus area. Old folks are know for ummmmmmmmmm missed debris................yuck
Forgot about that one. Our pool does have a sign that says adult or child diapers needed to be clean before going in. I'm not sure that anyone, young or old wearing diapers should be in a pool. The risk of fecal contamination is too high. I remember once when my son was young, he peed into the pool and it was evacuated. Pee, unlike poo, is actually sterile.

I went swimming at the YMCA pool a few times. They had swim time with the elderly, some with diapers. And that was when I decided not to go there again. Not that I don't feel sympathetic as there may be a time when I will be in the same boat but I was just too squeamish at the time.

And that reminds me of the time when I was practicing and had my own office. An older guy came in and he was incontinent in the sitting area. We smelled it when he left and found that he had moved around contaminating several chairs. Not sure why he did that. We had to replace all of them, and clean up the mess in the bathroom. Sorry to leave with this thread thought, I think that's when I became squeamish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No diapers in the pool, the ones that swim are with it. A lot of the older older people do not get into the pool. Professional pool keepers, so it might be fine, we have not gotten sick so far and been swimming in it for years.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
'Way back when I was in my early 20's, some friends and I went to the local swimming pool to practice our diving (10' board) and cool off. After my second or third dive, I noticed a large, for lack of a better word, turd on the bottom in the deepest part. I have not been in a swimming pool since! Ponds, lakes, rivers, but no pools!
John

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
'Way back when I was in my early 20's, some friends and I went to the local swimming pool to practice our diving (10' board) and cool off. After my second or third dive, I noticed a large, for lack of a better word, turd on the bottom in the deepest part. I have not been in a swimming pool since! Ponds, lakes, rivers, but no pools!
John
Are you sure it wasn't a prank? Turds have a way of dissolving in water.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Images of "Caddyshack" are running through my head.....

"It's Okay!".........Bill Murray was hilarious.....

Ask a Question