Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would be running out there like a crazy woman with cymbals banging to scare it away from my pond!!! I love wildlife too but not hunting in my yard!! You should see me when my cat has a live chipmunk in its mouth!! And we are all deer hunters in our house!!
Well, I did sick the dog on it both nights before I fed the fish. The bird flew down to the second pond, and had another morsel in it's mouth within a minute. lol

Reaction score
Trail cam photos from our cabin land. I posted Bob the cat before to JohnHuff but its worth putting on again. One deer has is velvet on and later it is all off.
WGI_0001.JPG
Winner, winner Venision Diner!
WGI_0193.JPG
WGI_0458.JPG
WGI_0531.JPG
WGI_.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! I had one of my little trees, possibly killed due to a buck rubbing velvet. Waiting to see if the tree survives. I did not think they were rubbing this early, knew I had to protect the smaller trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nice! I had one of my little trees, possibly killed due to a buck rubbing velvet. Waiting to see if the tree survives. I did not think they were rubbing this early, knew I had to protect the smaller trees.
Last March I trimmed the apple trees. There was still snow on the ground. My wife and I left for a 2 week road trip to Texas. When we got back, the deer chewed huge amounts of bark off the trees. 3 to 4 foot strips. Their about 6 to 7 years old. I purchased some undercoating spray, and applied while they were still dormant. They grew quite well this year. I will apply another coat in a few weeks. They will be done growing by then. I hope they continue to live. I just finished building a 4 strand electric fence. That should help to prevent this again.

Reaction score
O
Last March I trimmed the apple trees. There was still snow on the ground. My wife and I left for a 2 week road trip to Texas. When we got back, the deer chewed huge amounts of bark off the trees. 3 to 4 foot strips. Their about 6 to 7 years old. I purchased some undercoating spray, and applied while they were still dormant. They grew quite well this year. I will apply another coat in a few weeks. They will be done growing by then. I hope they continue to live. I just finished building a 4 strand electric fence. That should help to prevent this again.
oh yes we keep all the fruit trees well protected if the deer don't do them in some other critter does.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DSC06797.JPG
I need to wrap our emerald green cypress trees, they are just now recovering from the deer grooming they received last winter. They are not ready to be deer munched again, some were groomed pretty severely.

Last edited:
Reaction score
View attachment 75767 I need to wrap our emerald green cypress trees, they are just now recovering from the deer grooming they received last winter. They are not ready to be deer munched again, some were groomed pretty severely.
Wow that is something else. The deer keep the branches of the fruit trees trimmed in a nice even manner for us. Nice of them to help us out. I have
euonymus that grows along the ground and up my vertical posts that bushes out on my split rail fence. The deer feed on this all winter but it comes back thicker every year. Guess the deer have to eat to. We used to feed and put salt licks at our house for them until we got neighbors. We do put food plots, salt licks and even dug a pond for them in the swamp area.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat pix Lisa. The deer come around here and nibble and I've had to put net over some or my freshly planted trees but they seem to leave the mature trees alone. Boy if they did my Arbovitae trees like they did addy's we have planted along our road we would be in big trouble. We have them all along both sides of the driveway. Like about 80 of them!

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks T now lets hope after 14 yrs here the dear don't attack them w/ a feeding frenzy vengeance!
They look so nice and cute and innocent.........................hah, they are really just giant slugs but I love them :D

IMG_5908.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rub it in JB.................we want to go now but we have just a bit more junk to do. Soon very soon we will get to go.
Your picture is very inviting!

Reaction score
Neat pix Lisa. The deer come around here and nibble and I've had to put net over some or my freshly planted trees but they seem to leave the mature trees alone. Boy if they did my Arbovitae trees like they did addy's we have planted along our road we would be in big trouble. We have them all along both sides of the driveway. Like about 80 of them!

View attachment 75768
View attachment 75769
That is a cool fence!! Did they all live from the first year?

Ask a Question