JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thank you! Part two's theme is plants and animals I saw while camping.

As I showed you in the first part, I found a few patches of Wild Lupine growing on a sand prairie.
IMG_2817 copy.jpg

Growing next to it was this plant, which I don't know the name of.
IMG_2590 copy.jpg

dandelion dew.
IMG_2595 copy.jpg

Marsh Marigold.
IMG_2597 copy.jpg

IMG_2507 copy.jpg

Another first sighting for me is this Lady's Slipper.
IMG_2638 copy.jpg

This flower was interesting. I've got no idea what it is but I need to find out!
IMG_2824 copy.jpg

Columbine was growing everywhere.
IMG_2826 copy.jpg

This horsetail is very different from the few kinds I'm used to seeing. It was really cool seeing these along a wetland.
IMG_2650 copy.jpg

Spider webs lined the river.
IMG_2572 copy.jpg

I saw a few deer while camping, including these two, which were just across the river from me.
IMG_2633 copy.jpg

This is one of the Tree Swallows that lives in the house I donated. It was sitting next to me on a sign post.
IMG_2643 copy.jpg

While Canoeing I found quite a few turtles, mostly Painted Turtles. This one thought he/she was hiding.
DSCN8072 copy.jpg

DSCN8073 copy.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think he said a new canon. I have a nice one, but tend to just have my point in shoot in my pocket when wandering the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Beautiful! I think I was reading that Lupine is on the endangered list -- what a treasure to come across it like that! Around here, a lot of our parks are slowly getting eaten up by invasives (and deer) -- I started volunteering with a program to help restore the forests by picking weeds, but I gotta tell you, it's a little depressing. Your beautiful photos are so rejuvenating!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I just use my iphone, but we have a nikon D60 that I never use. I just don't know which lens to buy.
RobAmy have beautiful pictures as well, but they are professional photographers and the equipment they use is not a realistic purchase for me.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The vines here are so destructive, overwhelm the trees

I started volunteering with a program to help restore the forests by picking weeds, but I gotta tell you, it's a little depressing.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started volunteering with a program to help restore the forests by picking weeds, but I gotta tell you, it's a little depressing.
There's a guy I know who volunteers his time on the trail that many of those photos are from. He spends his days cutting invasives, pulling invasives, helping with controlled burns, installing boardwalks, correcting the river, and all sorts of trail maintenance. He works his butt off and the trail has completely changed in the last 3 years. If he walked away from the trail today, the area would still be nicer in 20 years than it was when he started. His work restoring the trail's woodlands, wetlands, and prairie in 3 shorts years shows that even small amounts of volunteering can have a large impact on an area.

jb, I may have missed it, but what equipment are you using for your photography?
Addy's right, my main camera is a Canon Powershot SX160 IS, not expensive by any means for the quality it provides. When I'm canoeing or in water I take my Nikon Coolpix L22 or my Canon Powershot Pro1.

The last set are shots are of the lake. Either while canoeing or from my campsite.

Morning.
IMG_2553 copy1.jpg

Afternoon.
IMG_2841 copy.jpg
IMG_2728 copy.jpg

IMG_2730 copy.jpg

Sunset.
IMG_2542 copy.jpg

IMG_2533 copy copy.jpg

Night.
IMG_2775 copy.jpg

Canoeing:
IMG_8412 copy.jpg
IMG_8414 copy.jpg
IMG_8411 copy.jpg
IMG_8421 copy.jpg

DSCN8063 copy.jpg

Reaction score
I built a Bug Hotel in my garden on Sunday with some help from my daughters. Looking forward to seeing what bugs move in over the coming months. I've put a tray of wildflower seed on the top just behind the cobbles which hopefully will attract some butterflies when they flower.

16%2BFinished%2BResult%2B24May2015.png

You can see how we made it and what materials we used by visiting the following link:
http://my-wildlife-pond-project.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/building-bug-hotel-2452015.html

Reaction score
Figgy, any idea what you'll attract to the buggy Motel 6?

Well, hopefully the frogs can shelter under the rocks at the bottom. Solitary Bees, Lacewings in the other levels along with other insects that may find there way. Anything will do though as originally I had a pile of logs but the hedgehogs kept knocking those over. At least this way it's a alot more sturdy.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to let us know what moves in, a good science study!

Ask a Question