JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've seen quite a few going to my Coral Bells plant. I expect to see more once my Mexican Sunflowers bloom, but that's still a month or so away.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These little cuties must have lost their parents, they came over every morning for snacks.

DSC08245.JPG
DSC08249.JPG

The sea gull bathing spot, every morning, we could canoe up to them real quietly.

DSC08255.JPG

Lots of orioles

DSC08258.JPG

And of Course the Boat Captain!

DSC08275.JPG
DSC08272.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
These little cuties must have lost their parents, they came over every morning for snacks.

the photo with the young ducks is interesting. I wonder what happened. Looks like they're old enough to take care of themselves, at least for now.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A lot of flapping around the eagles nest. I think they may be getting ready.
Clipboard03.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My mom was dog-watching today and she wanted to take it for a walk so we met up and went to a short trail. This area is tucked between a prison and an industrial park, yet the restoration turned it into something worth seeing. It's a great example of what can be done for wildlife in cities. I've been seeing more and more of these mini restorations and pathways, and my hope is that this is happening all over the US.

IMG_0601 copy.jpg

IMG_0620 copy.jpg

IMG_0612 copy.jpg

Blue Flag Irises.
IMG_0591 copy.jpg

Guessing this is a Pale Purple Coneflower.
IMG_0604 copy.jpg

I found the invasive Yellow Iris there. This plant is one of the top listed invasives in the state, and I expect it'll be on the banned list in the next 10 years. This is the first time I've ever come across it in the wild, though. It's a shame it is invasive because it looks great.
IMG_0588 copy.jpg

Milkweed. Unsure of which kind. Safe to say this area was filled with native plants. I love seeing that.
IMG_0607 copy.jpg

After that, I went over to the bike trail often visit shortly before rain moved in.
IMG_0626 copy.jpg

Didn't see too much there, but this Great Egret was a nice sight.
IMG_0629 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great shots you two,
JB that is the milkweed that is in the farmers field, edge of. Looks the same as yours.

I'm guessing it's probably Common Milkweed, but there are others with big round leaves like that so I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
An Osprey nest in Maryland made the news today. A camera was set up. Unfortunately, the eggs didn't hatch. A biologist waded out to the nest, took the two eggs, and placed two baby Osprey in the nest. Apparently, they were orphans and needed a home. The mom came back and looked kinda confused. Imagine that. lol The dad came back with a twig. He looked a little confused too. I hope things work out.
On a side note, I haven't seen any here since one stole one of my fish last week. Their probably raising a family, and will be real hungry later on.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hoping to share my camping photos tomorrow, but today I was out hiking a little. My mom and I went over to a county park that I haven't been to in about 10 years. I wasn't even aware they had a trail until last year. It was a nice trail but I noticed many invasives in the "prairie".As you can see, fog rolled in from Lake Michigan.
IMG_1348 copy.jpg

A highlight was finding a patch of Wild Strawberries. They're probably the best tasting strawberries I've ever had.
IMG_1349 copy.jpg

The lowlight was that we realized the area was infested with ticks... :eek:(n)
We had a total of 8 ticks between us, and the walk was very short. I don't want to think about how many we could've had, had we waked the whole trail.

After that we went over the the Pike River Pathway.
Summer Wildflowers are finally beginning to bloom. Just in the matter of a week, I've noticed Wild Bergamot and Milkweed blooming. Wild Bergamot is one of the plants in my native garden, so I'm hoping to see it bloom this year. Hopefully in the next month or so.
IMG_1356 copy.jpg

IMG_1361 copy1.jpg

IMG_1363 copy.jpg

IMG_1364 copy.jpg

and thistle. I'm not sure if it's native or not. Some are and some are invasive. The color sure stands out. Too bad they're full of thorns or it would be a welcome addition in my native plant gardens, if native.
IMG_1365 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As you might know, I went camping last weekend. I went out to a State Park that I have never been to before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

It lies on the shores of Lake Michigan.
IMG_0878 copy.jpg

IMG_1256 copy.jpg

There was quite a bit to explore, including woodlands, dunes, marsh, and prairie. Each area was completely different from the rest.
IMG_0856 copy1.jpg

IMG_1025 copy.jpg

IMG_0888 copy1.jpg

IMG_1052 copy.jpg

IMG_1060 copy.jpg

IMG_1107 copy1.jpg

Being that there were so many different habitats, there was a large variety of plant life.
Blue Flag Irises growing along a pond.
IMG_0929 copy.jpg

Veiny Pea growing on the sand dunes.
IMG_1121 copy.jpg

I found at least four different types of ferns while there.
IMG_1227 copy.jpg

I also saw a lot of wildlife. Painted Turtles and Snapping Turtles were crossing roads everywhere to lay their eggs. The morning after I took the photo of this Snapping Turtle, I came back to find that it had laid its eggs in the exact spot this photo was taken, right along a quiet road.
IMG_0969 copy1.jpg

While taking that photo, I looked up and noticed a bird I have never seen before but have been patiently waiting to find.

Eastern Bluebird
IMG_0974 copy.jpg

Deer were all over the place, mostly in the woods, but this one was seen walking along the sand dunes.
IMG_1075 copy.jpg

I also came across a coyote while hiking the trails. It didn't care that I was there and only glanced at me once as it stood there waiting for me to walk away so it could continue on. As I was taking video, it got tired of waiting so it turned around and ran off.
IMG_1016 copy.jpg

Lastly, the sunset shots of my final night.
IMG_1223 copy.jpg

IMG_1215 copy.jpg

Ask a Question