Need a solar pump for pond

Reaction score
I moved into a house that has an existing pond. The old pump is now broken and the AC outlet it was attached to is destroyed. So I am in the process of purchasing a solar pump. The question is how small or big do I have to go?
My pond is 3 X 3 and 2 feet deep (estimate). It is developing some algae since it is still. I get a lot of bird drinking from it so I don't really want to put any chemical in it if can be avoided. I am guessing, and just guessing, that a solar pump that circulates the water is going to be a good thing. What price point should I be looking at? How big? Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
No fish I assume. Ponds don't require a pump and a pump will not reduce algae growth. So any size pump you'd like would be fine. You can add chlorine if you'd like to control algae. If you add too much the birds generally won't drink from it because of the odor.

Reaction score
Ok, I saw some solar pumps, like tiny fountains - they were less than $15.00 on ebay, so I thought I would try that. But are you saying there isn't much use for a pump? No, I have no fish...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok, I saw some solar pumps, like tiny fountains - they were less than $15.00 on ebay, so I thought I would try that. But are you saying there isn't much use for a pump? No, I have no fish...

See my post here:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6869-solar-powered-equipment/page__view__findpost__p__124758

The $15 pump you are atalking about wil most likely break in under a yr as they are cheap and poorly manufactured.

If you are looking to spend under $30 or so and have a pond of that size you don't need a pump that does more than 100 GP/h.
Here's a small pump that would do exactly what you want; good water flow, oxygenating the water, and you can attach a hose to it easily that you can do whatever with (hose going from the submerged pump up the side and going out some garden statue or anything, doesn't matter :p).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200748538127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have personally bought a pump like that and they are well made and last much longer than the $15 one you are talking about.

The pump is pretty cheap, the only thing you would need would be a 12V solar panel to run it (can be about 20-40 dollars depending on the wattage you get) then it's just a simple sodaring job and you are all set.

Ask a Question