Need advice for liner seam adhesive that is available at home improvement stores.

Reaction score
Hello! I am installing four 20 mil LLDPE pond liners (they will be joined together) in an existing pond that is typically spring fed. Due to a severe drought, the pond dried up for the first time. I wanted to take advantage of the dry state by installing a liner to help hold water better and keep the future koi fish from digging in the mud. I do not have any pond stores anywhere near me, so I ordered the liners and seam tape online. The liners came in as scheduled , but the seam tape was delayed and will not arrive before the next rainfall predicted for 3 days from now. I don’t have time to order more seam tape, so I am wondering if anyone has any advice on a good adhesive I can purchase from Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc. Thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1665337858766.gif
and welcome @SandyZ
Never have I tried to do the seaming so can't help ya but hope someone else here can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't know that i would try the lldpe but i know nothing about it. though from looking it up they sell a standard seam tape along with it . any roofing supplier including online can supply it . and you can always request over nighting it. I know Dan at underwater warehouse has on multiple occasions has shipped to me on overnight orders. but to go along with most seam tapes there is also a primer that is used. look on google for a lldpe install

Reaction score
Update:

First, I want to thank you for the replies! LLDPE liner was not my preferred choice, but it was the only option I had based on a number of factors. I knew it would probably be a long shot that anyone would have any experience with it because having now worked with it, I can see why it may not be very popular or common.

Anyway, I ended up not having any luck finding something I could use to “glue” or “tape” the seams together in the limited timeframe I had to work in, so I tried something else. Since LLDPE is made from PVC, a family member mentioned something to me about seeing people use heat guns to “weld” pvc materials together for crafts and such, so I tried this with the pond liner. It definitely fused the pieces together, so I guess I’ll find out how well it works as the pond fills with water. The “weld” isn’t super pretty and I’m not sure if I did it exactly right, but since I am not worried about the liner being completely water-right, I feel like it just may work.

I’ll post more updates as things progress, in case anyone would be interested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I see PVC is Polyvinyl Chloride AND DEFINATELY NOT A FAVORITE AS A LINER HERE. Though I have not used it myself I have had pieces in my hands and was not impressed it was like comparing a vinyl jacket and a quality leather jacket . You can feel the quality difference.

LLDPE IS Linear Low-Density Polyethylene? Apparently is not pvc NOT A BAD THING

Pvc pipe is fragile it is not made for pressure and if you hit something with it the pipe will shatter. Polyethylene is a higher grade of plastic that is if im not mistake is the leading material used in making any food and drink related storage it leaches far less if at all compared the other plastics. And i do know fusion by heat is the best method to bond Polyethylene hard sheet material.

You'll have to keep us posted on it's foldability , workability, and durability

Ask a Question