need advice on commercial quality pump(s)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Thanks to the admins for hosting this site.

We're beginning work on a project with the following particulars:
30,000 gallon pond
175 ft distance from pond to top of stream course
25 ft vertical drop
goal of 250-300 gpm

Further details:
As I understand it, our total head will be about 42 ft, adding distance to drop. We want submersible pumps, but would be open above ground if need be. We assume two pumps with 2" to 4" lines (suggestions?).
Though it would be nice to have some variability with gpm, however my limited understanding suggests this is not possible with submersible pumps, correct?
This will be in a public venue (in a botanic garden), not that this affects the hardware details. The watercourse will flow about 9-12 hours per day (7 days per week). We welcome several hundred thousand visitors each year and charge no admission (we are a nonprofit that operates by the generosity of donors).
We will have fish (probably trout, possible other fish native to the region) in the pond.
Our goal is [eventually] power this by solar panels (we have plenty of space for however many panels this would require), and would appreciate any thoughts/insights/suggestions on this topic. I say "eventually" since we will likely not have this in place by the time we want to complete the pond and stream and have it open to the public.

I invite your opinions on makes and models of quality pumps that could carry that load and of a grade—commercial?—that we will not have to be replacing them in two years.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Quite a large undertaking. I would immediately rule out solar. DC pumps, if even available in this required capacity, would be quite expensive not even thinking about the footprint required for the panel array to power these pumps.

You do not mention any planned filtration. This will absolutely be required in this size pond and must be of exception capacity and efficiency especially if Trout will be housed.

The watercourse may run part time, though not advised, but filtration must be functional 24/7/365.

You may have underestimated your total flow requirements. For maximum water quality levels, a pond should have a turn-over rate of 1.5 - 2 per hour. In your case: 45,000 to 60,000 gph or 375 - 500 gpm per pump. And these pumps are not found at an Ebay price. Expect to pay $4,000 - $6,000 per pump minimum.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have you checked into the solar panel trees .They have them in Cherokee NC and they use them there to run there water features and the gift shops .They turn towards the sun during the day and give a modern twist to the area

Attachments

• pond video 027.JPG
    pond video 027.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 246
  • pond video 048.JPG
    pond video 048.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 220
  • pond video 047.JPG
    pond video 047.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 227
  • pond video 045.JPG
    pond video 045.JPG