Need advice thinking about changing filter on my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an 800 gallon above ground pond. Today I have a Lifeguard all in one filter IN my pond. It is the largest Lifeguard filter with three stacks of filtration a UV bulb and a small small area for biological media. I am concerned that it is not a good idea to have all that junk that the filter collects in my pond and the mess it can make when the filter has to be cleaned, I am think it would be better to add an outside filter such as
aquascape ulltra clean Pressurized Biological Pond Filters w/UVC. This would keep all the junk outside and I could back flush all the junk away when it needs cleaning.

So I would like advice on if this is a sound idea and would I have a better environment for my fish.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pressure filters are ok for smaller ponds with a light fish load. I used them for years but as my koi grew and reproduced, I was having to open them and clean rather than backflush. Not sure what amount of fish you have but it could be a good option as opposed to an in pond filter.
I'm sure others will chime in and say add a bog. Bogs are the best filters and no cleaning!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree the bog is the way to go, but not everyone has the room to build one.
My ponds have a very basic, yet efficient filtration system : skimmer and bio fall.
Both ponds are built with an upper pool strictly for plants, the bio-fall spills into the plant pool, and then a secondary spill goes into the koi pond.
Very basic, but seems to work just fine with my fish load.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those pressurized filters get mixed reviews - I feel like you read a lot of complaints about them cracking and failing. But I do agree, an in pond filter would be messy to deal with - most people say the same thing you did... you end up with a lot of the mess going back in the pond, so an external filter seems much more manageable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The best filtration in my opinion is a bog. No maintenance....no cleaning of any sort. No filter pads, no UV light and crystal clear water.

The only thing you might have to do is thin out the plants growing in the bog.

A bog size is relative to the size of your pond. The bog surface should be 30% of your pond surface.

I was running two pressure filters in tandom and a UV light in my 1800 gallon pond. My water was pea soup green all last year.

I added the bog in May of this year (2020) and have never had water this clear. It's amazing!

I sold my two pressure filters and UV light and the bog is the only filtration.

Ask a Question