Need Help Getting Started

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I'm excited to see what you decide to do. I hope you share the process on these forums. I enjoy seeing what others do with their ponds.

Since I posted this, I've found a more open spot and am considering a more traditional dig. I have reservations about my roaming 3-year-old, though. While the pond would only be 18-24 inches deep, it's giving me serious pause. We're putting an alarm on the back door and considering a fence. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted.

Reaction score
Lardeelion,

I definitely understand the concern regarding you kids, and neighboorhood kids, too. A child can be very inquisitive and at the same time, very unaware of the dangers of water. So design protective and safety measures ahead of time. Also better check with any city or county codes on your build for permits and what-not. You don't wnat to get half way through and have an inspector come around and chastise you and make you fill it all back in. It's happened to others.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can buy one of those pool alarms that may help a little but fish may also set it off .I know you can set some of them to a desired setting for splash or moving .My sister had one in her swimming pool when the twins were little

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks, everyone. I've combed through city ordinances and found what I need to know in terms of depth and permits, and I've placed a call to them to be sure. I've been reading threads by poor folks who had to re-do their ponds, and that sure would stink. Sissy - thanks for the pool alarm suggestion! My kid can actually swim, but that doesn't mean much.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
since it will not be that deep the child should be able to stand up in it

Ask a Question