JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
HTH said:
The general consensus is that liquid tests designed for aquariums are more accurate then strips.
True, but it's such a hassle that I've never used them. And I can't really think of a situation where liquid test accuracy over test strip accuracy would be so important that a liquid test was absolutely necessary.

Reaction score
JohnHuff said:
True, but it's such a hassle that I've never used them. And I can't really think of a situation where liquid test accuracy over test strip accuracy would be so important that a liquid test was absolutely necessary.
Hth is correct on this. If you are spending the money to test the parameters of the water, go with the liquid. Those test strips are so far off from what is correct and im sure no one stores them in a dry cool area. As soon as you open them up, the moist air will destroy any accurate readings.

Reaction score
I have the test strips and the liquid drops and I find there is enough of a difference that I dont even use the strips anymore even though they are much faster. If I am going to spend time and money to measure something it is worth spending a bit more time and money knowing that I am getting accurate readings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I have never gotten an accurate reading of pH on the test strips. According to them, my pond is at 6.8. According to the liquid test, my pond is actually at 8.4. That is a huge error that completely changes what the perceived conditions are.

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a lil picture of what I'm dealing with

Pondgunk.jpg

That's after 2 days.

sissy said:
You can use totes for a filter tank cut the handles off one and put it inside the other
Silly question, what's a Totes?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
While you are out and about take a water sample in a jar you have rinsed well in the pond to a pet or aquarium store and have them test for nitrates ammonia and nitrite in that order if they get fussy about not wanting to do all 3

Reaction score
Del, it looks like you have a big filter problem. You need to get more water movement via pump method and upgrade filtration. I had 18 inches of algae growth and i ran a cheap 7in filter sock to assist my main filtration for spring start up. Today my pond is crystal clear to the bottom. Slow down feeding, better filtration, and more water movement. You get those 3 in check and youll be set for life

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It is interesting what you all say about test strips vs. liquid tests. As a former chemistry major we all happily used strip tests such as litmus and pH papers...but those were dinosaur years ago. All they are is paper impregnated with chemicals and we never questioned the use of them as students. As far as expiration and contamination, the same would be true with liquid test kits.

What Shdwdrgn says is even more amazing, not that I disbelieve her but one reading is acidic and one alkaline! If paper test strips are so inaccurate, I don't know why they haven't been smacked with a class action lawsuit yet since it's clearly fraud to sell something that simply does not work. One might as well be selling magic testing kits.

And has anyone used a pH meter (available cheap) to confirm the accuracy of liquid test kit pH readings?

Reaction score
Yes if you leave the cap open on the liquid test kit it will be invalid. I run a ph probe( test at 4.0 and 8.0) with my apex on my s/w system but it is far more necessary for the tank in comparrison with the pond. Ph swings in small amounts will competely destroy a s/w reef and is not a need with constant monitoring in a pond application.
When i was a kid, we did test kits too that used used the test strips but in todays standards it is not even close. I 100 percent agree with our friend that has done the different testing via liquid test vs test strip. I will get the same results as she would get on my s/w system.
By all means, if you feel more comfortable using those strips....... Then use em. I think in today standards that test stips are more basic, but when you get involved with make adjustments to you homemade ecosystem and you want to keep a constant variable in check, i would use the more accurate drip method of testing.
My question to you is, if you have mass ph swings, would you feel positive using the test strips to dose properly? I would not.

Reaction score
Decided to have a walk around World of Water to get a few ideas.

I have no idea of the best brands etc.

I did noticed a Lotus Clear Pond 25, which says it will do 12500 litres on a heavily stocked pond, recommends a pump of 4800+
Would this be a good choice? Has a mix of mechanical, biological and UV.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is a lot of algae and it would really need hand removal .I have seen people filter ponds like that with a watering can set up on a stake with the hose running into the can and filter material and out the spout and back into the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52790] tote .I use a little peroxide to hold algae at bay

Ask a Question