need help w/ what filter/pump for 3600 gallons

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
A waterfall in the right situation is a splendid feature. Don’t be too ambitious though – for most situations, the "head" (distance from the pond surface up to the outlet) should be 3 foot or less and the sill (area over which the water flows) should be 4-6 inches wide. The distance from one tier to the one below should be 3 inches to one foot.

The right pump to choose for your waterfall will have sufficient output to satisfy the following 2 requirements:
1. The flow rate should be between 100-150% of the volume of the pond. For example: a 300 gallon pond will need a 300-450 gal/hr. pump.
2. The flow rate should produce a sheet of water, right across the sill (lip) at the front of the cascade. This will require at least 50 gal/hr. per 1 inch width. For example: a 6 inch sill will need a minimum of 300 gal/hr.

Reaction score
I am by no means a pond expert but I wanted to give my input on the all in one filter system.
I have a fishmate 3000 filter with UV light inside of the filter, and I have not been overly impressed. I never had clear water. I slowed the water down with a t-valve and it just never seems to get the pond clean. I bought the pressurized system because I thought it would just be really easy to clean. Doing a backwash is very easy but sometimes nothing comes out. hmmmmm - image that.

I don't recommend that type of system but that is just my opinion.

Reaction score
bead filters are not a solo or all-in-one system. Bead filter companies would like to tell you that all you need is a bead filter, but that is not the case. In the case of a bead filter, you will need a settlement barrel/chamber before it, otherwise the bead filter will clog will debris.

Does the bead filter have no markings whatsoever? Any decent brand will label it's product. Are you sure it isn't a pool filter? (In that case, just run away from it). Can you grab a photo of it perhaps?

I am not knocking bead filters. I'd like to eventually have one on my system, but that will be in addition to the equipment I have now. As I said, it is not meant to act alone--unless you want to flush it daily.

Reaction score
yeah i have to charge the camera battery then i will take some pics. i also found a 2nd of these filters but a smaller version. it measures to be the 4000 gallon version.

as for other filtration, i do plan on doing more, and would like a cetus sieve, but those are another $1000. so that will have to wait.

Reaction score
here is pics of the dig in process and the pre dig site.

Attachments

• DSC00393.JPG
    DSC00393.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC00389.JPG
    DSC00389.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 306
Reaction score
here is a couple of the big filter, and the uv light

Attachments

• DSC00412.JPG
    DSC00412.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC00410.JPG
    DSC00410.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC00411.JPG
    DSC00411.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
north texas gets pretty cold sometimes. i'd go deeper unless you plan to cover the pond or heat it. 4 ft will be the minimum for Koi with cold temps. if you can, i'd go to 6 ft at least for enough room for the total number of koi you plan to get to huddle down there.

Ask a Question