Need help

Reaction score
This is my first post I have been ponding for around 15 years
this is my first year that I have had this problem string algae I live in southern Ontario Canada zone six pond is approx 12 x 15 x 3 ft. deep not sure on the gallons I run 4 aquascape pumps each 2000 gal so I can have full water coverage over my water fall. have aquascape pressure filter as well as 24 watt uv have done water changes pulled, tugged,
not willing to add chemcial I have around 25 shubunkins most are around 6 "
have not feed so far this year pond is 60% covered with plant material I have been thinking that this is due to the amount of rain that we have had this spring. One thing that has seemed to work a little is adding beer I just added six cans yesterday and algae is floating
on top just finshed scooping all the algae out and did another water change appox 10%

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
When there are nutrients nature will see to it that they are put to use. If no other plants exist suspended algae will grow. Once string algae takes hold it will starve the suspended algae. If you get enough higher plant forms with roots in the water they will starve the string algae.

Potted plants do not help because they are getting their nutrients from the pot. So the 60% plant coverage is good but will not reduce the nitrates if the plants are all or mostly all potted plants.

10% water changes do little good to reduce nitrate levels. I did the math in a post a few weeks ago and it takes more then 10 10% changes to reduce it to 1/4 the starting level. That does not take into account the nitrates entering the system and the possibility of nitrates in the change water.

Killing the algae with beer or any chemical is counter productive. You are treating the symptom rather then the cause.

I had a pot in my pond covered with just a green flocking of string algae. Looked more like moss. I dumped a few bare root plants and this pot into a stock tank and tossed in a lily tab. Within a few days the string algae on the pot was rapidly growing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowers900.gif
Cotton

That's very interesting about the beer. What is in the beer that helps rid the pond of the string algae? Wonder if the fish are feeling good now from their little beer binge :nananananana:

Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

Have only one potted plant I use water hyacinth I do see the string algae on the roots
what other plants could I add

thks for the help

J. W

Beer has barley in it Fish seem to love it spawning like crazy

just have to figure out how to get rid of all the black ones

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah yes of course.........not a beer drinker here. I have barley in my pond right now. Bought a bale of it a bit ago. It's in there for more of a preventative measure as I don't have the string algae at this time..............maybe the barley is why I don't? When you say you are having to get rid of the black fish I guess Shubbies when they are hatched don't start out black like the goldfish right?

Reaction score
Have always had shubunkins they seem to be born black and stay black can only see them when there chasing seems that all the females are black When they go down to the bottom can not see them at all Some of the black ones seem to be around 6 or 7 inches in length and have great tails but their black

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice for somebody w/ a totally clear pond w/ white liner and no algae growth but wouldn't that be a pain to try to continue. Maybe give to people w/ large aquariums?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of my fry have color right at the start jw. You can tell a goldie vs a shubunkin even when around 1/2 inch.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your pond should be about 4000 gallons, HTH is right, High nitrates are usually present and directly related with the growth of a lot of algae, getting the water back in to peak condition will in most cases, with plants will settle out and balance out better.

Reaction score
Would like to thank everyone for the help. Pond is 100% clear and algae is almost gone

just one problem How to get rid of black comets , shurbunkins have tried to catch but no luck

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You may want to leave them if the pond is doing good, about the only way to remove them is drain the pond down and catch all the fish and put back in what you want to keep, But on the good side, Here is a pic of a Black Comet I kept, 12" long and as you can tell has changed some since it was young and solid black. Can you pick out which one is a comet and which one is a orange and black butterfly Koi. BTW These two opposites are the same age!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 167

Ask a Question