Need inspiration for new waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My own pond is a pretty boring thing as ponds go its above ground I dont have a waterfall nor any of the backdrops you garden pond keepers aways seem to have , space or lack of it being an issue .
At the moment we are in the finishing stages cosmetic wise then perhaps we can sort of make our formal ko pond that nuch less formal .
I'm thinking of adding a reed or veg filter next year purely to take out any nitrates but again space defeats us so it would be a boxed affair .
Im awaiting plans from the owner of our local aquatic outlet before going ahead with it so you could say its in the planning stage .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
@sissy, no doubt I'm missing something here, but how would diverting some of the water to stay in the pond aerate it? Or am I having a senior moment,lol?
@Peter, don't fancy glueing the rocks together with sealant or mortar as I'm wary of having chemicals leach out of either. No doubt there's a specific pond friendly sealer out there, but I'm sure something would need to be moved at some point in the future. You can have all my moss if you wish! I have more than enough here, we also get lots of lichen on the stone, and on the block paving drive etc....trouble is it looks like chewing gum from a distance, yuk.
@Mmathis, the dry stone walls (so named as they traditionally don't use any mortar) that retain the large rockery that flanks the pond are the local way of building field/garden boundaries here. Each area and even the stone waller has his own distinctive style and of course the locality has it's own type of rock that is used. Sometimes it is slate as in Wales, limestone in Derbyshire, and here in my area of Staffordshire, it's a type of sandstone.
@jerseymarine stunning waterfall you have there, it's fantastic. That would look great if I could replicate that, but I doubt it on my own. Anyone in my area willing to make one for me?.........thanks for the replies.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine is pretty basic but I have a few shots of the beginning. I do have a bog built in as well.
328.JPG

339.JPG

bog1.JPG
IMG_2650.JPG

pond august1.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
@sissy, no doubt I'm missing something here, but how would diverting some of the water to stay in the pond aerate it? Or am I having a senior moment,lol?
@Peter, don't fancy glueing the rocks together with sealant or mortar as I'm wary of having chemicals leach out of either. No doubt there's a specific pond friendly sealer out there, but I'm sure something would need to be moved at some point in the future. You can have all my moss if you wish! I have more than enough here, we also get lots of lichen on the stone, and on the block paving drive etc....trouble is it looks like chewing gum from a distance, yuk.
@Mmathis, the dry stone walls (so named as they traditionally don't use any mortar) that retain the large rockery that flanks the pond are the local way of building field/garden boundaries here. Each area and even the stone waller has his own distinctive style and of course the locality has it's own type of rock that is used. Sometimes it is slate as in Wales, limestone in Derbyshire, and here in my area of Staffordshire, it's a type of sandstone.
@jerseymarine stunning waterfall you have there, it's fantastic. That would look great if I could replicate that, but I doubt it on my own. Anyone in my area willing to make one for me?.........thanks for the replies.

Thank you. If we lived closer Id love to help you replicate it. Its quite easy actually. The hardest part is moving some of those huge rocks. If you ever really want to create a fall like that PM me if you aren't clear on exactly what I explained and I can explain further or make a drawing

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my waterfall, my pond is above ground and we had a top tier that just wasn't "enough" for me soi took it out and made my own little waterfall, it was kinda hard because my wall goes up 2ft but I laid an old concrete step on the top edge and kinda built up from there topping it off with an old wheel barrow :D

Attachments

• 1442094407645.jpg
    1442094407645.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 1442094477095.jpg
    1442094477095.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 254

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
This is my waterfall, my pond is above ground and we had a top tier that just wasn't "enough" for me soi took it out and made my own little waterfall, it was kinda hard because my wall goes up 2ft but I laid an old concrete step on the top edge and kinda built up from there topping it off with an old wheel barrow :D
Bet it sounds wonderful:smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Tbendl, I do like your setup, thanks for taking the time to post the pics!

SSmoker, The wheelbarrow waterfall is such an innovative idea, how brilliant, it looks super, thanks also for adding your pics!

Well, as I was at work all day Sat and Sun, two of my daughters and their husbands came over and did the deed for me! It still needs a bit if tweaking, but so far, so good! The liner at the edge of the waterfall is in view and in the sun, (when it shines here in the UK which hasn't been very often this summer, believe me) so I need to re-do that area slightly.

The fish seem to love the waterfall as they 'surf' in the fast current and bubbles it produces and are constantly getting spun away over the surface of the water. The new filter and uv combo is beginning to clear the water so I'm confident that my purchase is well justified :). I'll post some pics later on.

I called in at an aquatic shop before the weekend to check out the preformed waterfalls and didn't like the two they had on display, they looked very, very artificial and I thought they would be hard to integrate into the more natural look that I was hoping for. Naturally I checked out the fish they had and bought three very long tailed goldfish as I prefer the look of those compared to the short tailed ones.

Note to self...... I really must refrain from buying any more fish, lol.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would love to do an old ford truck one like I saw on the internet .Why not go on you tube to get some ideas but have to say yours is original and love it .I have old wheelbarrows that I planted flowers in and love them .All or most ones out there that are premade look like premade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Just been out and snapped a few pics......as I mentioned, just a few tweaks to be made, but that will have to wait till next week. Plan is to place a few more rocks over the edges of the slab to 'break up' the hard edges and hide the excess liner. The pump house roof is still to be made, hence the old one with the tarp over it. There is so much cabling to be hidden as there's a system for a set of garden lights there also, so despite the new filter being buried up to the in/outlets, I still need a dog kennel as most folks think it is! I don't have a dog btw! Next job is to devise a way of lifting the anti heron net off the surface of the pond, I do'nt like the look of a netted pond, but needs must as we have lost several fish over the years to pesky herons.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
'They' did a fantastic job! 'Twas not me!

Ask a Question