Need new plant ideas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Okay, loved the Obedient plants in my bog I got off Addy a few years ago, but I have cut most down because the wind we have been having is blowing them down on my Carnivorous plants. Plus, they don't look good laying all over the bog. Next year I want something that is not as tall, maybe 1-2 feet tall. I love the shade these provide in the bog, just not as tall so the wind won't be a problem. They need to be hardy to zone 5. Any ideas?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
water willow, 12 inches tall, but not much shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I googled it. Pretty flower. I also looked up forget-me-nots, you sent me some, they didn't make it. And Silk Stockings Arrowhead. They look kind of cool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Have you thought about daylilies? They seem to do very well in a bog setting, and they come in many heights.

I didn't know you could put daylilies in a bog. I have some in the ground. Are you talking about those kind?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, if the plant says "lily", it probably can go in the bog! Try some. If you have them in your landscaping, dig a section off the side and plop the in the bog. I have quite a few different colors in my bogs, and all of them are growing well. Irises also do well in the bog, although they are taller. Also, if you are good at saving Elephant ear bulbs in the winter (I'm not so don't ask me how LOL), they do very well in a pot in the bog, or put the bulb right in the bog. they provide shade, and don't grow until it's pretty warm. They also do well in part shade, probably better in fact. Penny wart provides TOTAL shade haha, if you're looking for something to cover your bog. :) It's just been a really windy spring, seems every day is 15-25 mph winds here lately, too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I will look into the day lily. I have Iris's in a huge pot on a shelf in the pond. I've had Elephant Ears, love them but can't keep them over winter. I don't want to totally cover the bog, I like watching the birds play in it. I was bummed when the forget-me-nots didn't make it. We built that bog, filled it with plants and all died but the Obedient plant. Not sure why, it was established pond water going through it. It will all be revamped next spring. If I go with the lily, should I put the bulb in this Fall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Any plants that are hardy in the ground will be hardy in the bog. This past winter was horrendous, that's why your plants didn't make it. I moved a very large (15' tall) oak tree last fall. It did great, had leaves on it 2 months after I moved it, but didn't make it. I think the roots had not established well enough for last winter. A typical winter it would have made it. Same with your bog plants. Some probably were not established enough to make it through last winter. Try them again, bet you will have better luck. Doesn't have nearly as much to do with the water as it does with the temperatures. I'm tempted to try hardy hibiscus in the bog! I probably would put it in a pot, so I would know for sure where it was. I know they like wetland situations. Have some seeds I grew, so may toss them in a small pot, see how they grow and go from there.
How about Cattails? I could send you some, mine are variegated - green/white. They do spread, but in a bog, with pea gravel, just grab, shake side to side, and they pull right out. They grow about 3-4' tall, and are VERY sturdy in the winds, long as they have at least 10-12" of gravel to root in. Other nice plants are rushes (horsetail rush). They are hardy, come back every year, but maybe these last plants are taller than you want to see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have cattails in the pond in a big pot. Yea, it was a horrible winter. Hope we don't get another one like that.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have ground day lilies in my bog.......they grow like weeds. So far I have pulled enough from the bog to plant an entire fence line. Grow great, bloom great look great.

Ask a Question