Need shade

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? My Pond is 16 x 12 I need some quick growing shade plants. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Even something artificial would be good. I really don't have the time right now to build a shade tarp.Or anything the wife is going to pester me about. Oh I live in O.C. NY 65 miles west of NYC. Thanks in advance....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
water lillies, lettuce and hiacynths are about the best...frogbit is also a pretty quick spreader...tho it is a bit late in the season.

Reaction score
you have to remember depending on if you have koi they will eat the plants up, i have spent about 40 bucks on plants that my koi just ate, i had to make koiguy's plant rings to keep them safe.

Reaction score
bsr8129 said:
you have to remember depending on if you have koi they will eat the plants up, i have spent about 40 bucks on plants that my koi just ate, i had to make koiguy's plant rings to keep them safe.

I was going to say the same thing about water lettuce. I'm sorry man. I've been there myself. I figured if I bought enough of it some would get past my koi and continue to grow. Most of it was gone in less then a week. I built a small netted box to save what was left but quickly got tired of looking at it. It was ugly (the box).

My papyrus grew fast and it was pretty cheap. I spent more on the pots and water plant sand/gravel then the plants. lol It may be worth giving papyrus a shot. It's not going to provide shade all day long but if you put them in the right spots they should cast some decent shadows.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have my papyrus in long planters with pea gravel, no soil. Drill a lot of holes in the sides for water cross flow.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I have my papyrus in long planters with pea gravel, no soil. Drill a lot of holes in the sides for water cross flow.

Good idea. I have a long plastic planter sitting empty in my back yard. Maybe I'll do something similar next year.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I 've read so much from Japan experts whom never keep plants in there pond,because it is a waste of money due to the fish eating them.That statement coming from a koi expert who says 1200 gallon pond will only hold up to 5 koi.............@ 3 to 4 feet deep.
With that in mind.........

koiguy do your koi's eat your wter lilies.......... I've found a site who will sell you 100 lily seeds for cheap

Reaction score
A quick thing if you want to use it is screen for windows and it works well it keeps the koi shaded and also keeps them safe from predetors. You only have to cover half or not even half your pond.
:lol:~marino~:lol:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
pondbuilder13 said:
A quick thing if you want to use it is screen for windows and it works well it keeps the koi shaded and also keeps them safe from predetors. You only have to cover half or not even half your pond.
:lol:~marino~:lol:

Sunscreen is a great idea. The Japanense are into it for the money, hence no plants. They only care about the MONEY.

Reaction score
If you get water lettuce and water hiacynths then make sure to group them close together. Tie them with string or make a floating ring if you have to. In my experience this makes them bloom and spread faster.

I also use some of the underwater oxygenators. They are usually pretty cheap and float if not weighted down.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those plants like to be grouped together to grow the best, almost crowded, you are right kennethO

Ask a Question