Need some help

BBK

Reaction score
Hello all! Well I have some questions about my pond.

I have a 7ft by 3ft by 3ft pond that I set up 2 years ago. It has no plants in it and I would LOVE to change that. I have been looking at getting some water lillys to give the goldies some shade but I don't have a clue when it comes to plants.

What substrate should I use? I want to get my plants to thrive but I also want it to stay crystal clear. I currently have about 1" of pea gravel because I didn't know what substrate plants need.

I'm running a 250gph pump with in in-the-pond type box filter that runs to a UV sterilizer and then back out into the pond.

I'm also having problems with water draining into my pond when we have a big downpour. It brings mud and all kinds of nastys in there. But I think I have a way to fix that.

I must be doing something right in my pond because when I went to see how bad the rain ruined my pond today I noticed a bunch of goldfish fry swimming around. I managed to catch 5 with a minnow net so I figured I would raise these until they are big enough that the goldies wont eat them and let the rest fend for themselves.

Here are some pics. You will have to excuse the muddy water, I am taking care of that as we speak.

100_0138.jpg

100_0139.jpg

fry.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
buy them in pots it'll cost around $50.00 for 2 and that will cover half your pond, and they'll come with flowers or at least buds. and its a one time purchace they come back every year. after a year or two you can split them and have even more.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Home Depot and Costco have water lillies for $5.00. I have several that I bought over 10 years ago and they are doing great.

BBK

Reaction score
All parameters are normal. Could my goldfish have killed it? I might try one again but this time fertilize the heck out of it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have never fertilized any of my water lilies. The fish take care of that. They bloom and come back every year without any help.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
BBK,

If you are going to buy water lillies from a hard ware outlet, you have to get them in the early spring when the store first puts them out on the shelves. I had the same problem with water liilies that I purchased from Lowes and Home Depot. I think they may have sat on the shelf dry from time to time, and were in the process of dying when I bought them.

The best place to purchase water lilies or any other aquatic plants, is at a nursery where you can see the plants you want potted and alive in their pond.

Ask a Question