Need some skimmer / pump / filter help

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just wanted to see the ends of your pipes, up close
It is always possible to forget about them ,and hide a new line.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the skimmer. I was pulling fish out of there every day when I first stocked the pond. Realizing that any kind of sreening at the water surface would block the skimmer I tried something else. I bought a mini milk crate, about 8 inches long (my skimmer opening is 8 inches long) 6 inches wide and about 5 inches tall. I hung it in front of the skimmer opening so that it was about an inch and a half below the surface.

Since it is below the surface the floating debris doesn't clog the opening and since the crate has holes it doesn't retrict the water flow. I put a couple of rocks in it to weigh it down and keep it in place. The fish never made it into the skimmer again since they would have to swim through it or over it to get in. They just stay away from it now.

Hope that helps a little. BTW...Nice pond!

Reaction score
If your pump is clogging up at the intake, and is submersible, what I did with my pump was get one of those plastic plant baskets, cut a hole/slot for the cord and the flexpipe to exit, set it down on a flat raised brick, and set rocks at the top so it didn't move. This allows only the smallest of pieces in, and promotes waterflow just fine. I am sure that eventually it can clog, but I dont see how it will do it from 4 corners that quickly - because of the direction the suction comes from. So far that has given me plenty of flow, and the solution took about 5 dollars. Everything else I tried, clogged quickly. Putting a prefilter sock, just meant that had to be cleaned. Every pre pre pre pre whatever at the start of the chain has potential to clog and take the rest of the chain to a halt.

Unfortunately you may need to bite the bullet if you want a functioning solution, and sometimes you can run into the case where youve decided the outcome by deciding NOT to spend what it will take to get the problem solved. But until you determine that its better in the long run to get the right tool for the job, and spend/save what it takes to get there, maybe the plant basket, or two Strainers/Collanders flextied together like a "cage" will get you by.

Sometimes there are soultions which dont require that you spend anything, but when those are exhausted without effect, you have a choice to make, fix it or let it go.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great idea, I have done it this way for years. I only have to bring it up once or twice a year for cleaning.

Ask a Question