Need some skimmer / pump / filter help

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to the board and I need help with this set up, it’s not working well for me. The pond picture isn't the most current, it does look better than this picture. My problem is the skimmer/pump set up.

The pond is approx. 800 gallons, the pump is an Aquascape 2500. This skimmer box is rather rigged in that I have plastic poultry fencing clipped to the front with two rusty clips. That’s to keep the fish out of the skimmer. Next is the screen like thing I had to make, also with plastic poultry fencing, and I keep a piece of batting on that. Then there’s the pump behind it. I need a better system!! Can anyone suggest what I should do to correct this set up? I have 2 koi and about 7 medium gold fish and 16 baby goldfish that I was forced to take because a family member brought them over from an aquaponic system they shut down.

At the waterfall, I have those sheets of thick mesh filtering. The skimmer is located to the left. I’m sure many of you will have good suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• small_Pond%2010.jpg
    small_Pond%2010.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 403
  • skimmer.JPG
    skimmer.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 408
Reaction score
Is this skimmer thingee and the batting at the waterfall your only filtration? If so, you need to build yourself a barrel filter. Real simple to do, and there's a few samples of them on this site to look at. DrDave, koiguy, DrCase and I have one of many other examples on this site. Search for them on the site and ask any questions you'd like about them

But, they will be way easier to maintain than what you've got going right now.

Reaction score
I can't build a barrel filter since the hose is mortared in under the flagstone. I did not build this pond and I'm not a very good DIYourselfer. I'm going to post some better pictures of this set up tonight.

Reaction score
photos would totally help!

If a hose is mortared in, you could simply connect to it....that should not be a problem. How is that skimmer connected to the pump? Isn't it through a hose?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
how big is the waterfall reserviour (basin) ? how much media is in it? these filters really are easy to build but looking at your set up i would go with a stock tank filter lower profile so easy to hide and thats speaking as some one who has one and is exceedingly happy with it .. i run the 70 gal stock tank outside and a 55 gallon on the basement pond. you could run a second pump (submersable) from the bottom of the pond and a seperate filtation system this would pull water from the bottom and more physical solid waste from the pond while your present system pulls from the surface.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I'm working only with photos I happen to have on my work computer. This is a really dirty, filthy picture of the set up while it was under construction last January. Please ignore the rocks circled in black, that was for another use. I just thought this would show a better view of what I'm working with. I'm really trying to avoid buying another pump.

Attachments

• pond under construction.jpg
    pond under construction.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 331
Reaction score
Koiguy, I currently have two of those thick mat things I got at a pond store in the basis. I cannot think of the name of those things. I had plants growing out of there but currently do not. Would the waterfall basin be a good place to pack with bio balls? Do you just take them out every so often and hose them down? That could be an option, but I'm still thinking I'm getting to much crud at the skimmer box with its rudimentary set up.

Reaction score
i think in your photo I can see black hosing that is coming up outta the ground. I'm guessing that the hose you mention that is mortared in? Can you pull that up and out any?

You could turn that waterfall basin in a filter for sure, the problem is that it will likely not be large enough to be the singular filtration unit. You should go ahead and do that tho.

You connect another pipe to your existing hosing and maybe put a pressure filter somewhere. It can be hidden if you need it to be. You can even bury it up to it's top in the ground. A 2,000-3,000 gph pressure filter would really help you out if you can't build/hide a barrel.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
FineFins said:
Koiguy, I currently have two of those thick mat things I got at a pond store in the basis. I cannot think of the name of those things. .
theyre matala pads and do not hose them down it kills the aerobic bacteria that colonizes them and the bacteria are what cleans toxins out of your water.

Reaction score
Ok, I've added some more pictures to try and better show what I'm dealing with. My goal here is to avoid having to constantly worry about the pond. Some people say they're afraid to leave for the weekend because of their pond, but I'm afraid to go to sleep, or leave for work because of the pond. It seems there is always something blocking the flow or clogging.

For example, tonight I got home from work, and the pump was struggling because leaves had blocked the water intake. So the pump was gurgling to get water. If it's not the screen like thing I have attached on the front, it's the batting that's clogged, if that's not it, then it's the pump itself which I have another fabric like guard on.

I'm afraid to take the poultry fencing off of the opening of the skimmer because too many fish get there. I'm tired of having to worry about that stupid batting being clogged also. I know a pond isn't maintenance free, but mine seems to take A LOT of my time. Though I can't afford any large purchases right now, or small for that matter, that may change in December and I can rectify the problems.

That's why I have turned to you experts to get me in the right direction. The pond was installed for me, then re-done 2x because of problems. I don't have any of the funds or tools needed to make fancy filter baskets and skippy filters and pressure valves, etc. I really need to try and work the best with what I have for the next few months.:)

I know when it starts to get colder everything will slow down in the pond and I can possibly get control over it again, but for now, I just want to be able to sleep without waking up the the new $300 pump gasping for water. This WAS my back up pump until the other one gasped to death. If this one goes, I'll have to stand out there with a straw and blow air into the pond.:protest:

I hope the pictures help a little bit.

PS: The owl does nothing to stop the heron!

Attachments

• small_1(22).jpg
    small_1(22).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 298
  • small_2(19).jpg
    small_2(19).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 282
  • small_3(18).jpg
    small_3(18).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 295
  • small_4(2).jpg
    small_4(2).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 293

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
It would help us to help you if you could post some actual pictures of the filter intake, and other parts of your system that is creating the problems for you.

It sounds like I had some of the same problems. I was at a point where I didn't know what was going to wrong next. I seem to have all of my bugs worked out so far, but every so often I get curve ball thrown at me, and I deal with it.

Most everyone at this forum has contributed in one way or the other in helping me overcome my filtration mistakes.

Reaction score
oldmarine is right. We need photos of your system (tho your pond is lovely!!).

Homemade skimmers can be a total nightmare. First off, they lack a weir (that flap door that prevents (usually) fish from getting in. I've seen plenty of savvy DIY'ers make their own weirs. Unfortunately, the chicken wire you talk about will continually clog as stuff gets in there, and you will need to check/clear that on a daily basis.

Can you remove that skimmer? I know you've mentioned that lots of parts of your system are mortared in. You might very well have to suck it up and get some of those things out of the cement by doing some chiseling. You'd be way better served by a barrel filter.

Even if you can't remove the skimmer, you could maybe just not use it by bypassing it and then connecting your pipe to a barrel filter.

Ask a Question