Need to Off load some ghost koi and goldfish.

Reaction score
The two fish in the top have no whiskers. I feed my fish pondcare, and I am almost positive I got them from the woman in MT Vernon :). Oh and my pond is just rubber lined, I gave up looking for the camera lol, so those photos are from my i- phone ,
Ps: I PM you CE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I am now the proud owner of these beautiful fish - Sarassa, Shubunkin and a fantail! Thought my local pet store was going to buy the 3 koi (they all look pretty much alike), but they said black doesn't sell. Pooey on them! Told PondKid I'd take them and when I get ready to sell fish in a month or two, I'll sell them for him. Probably get a better price anyhow.
The Sarassas are prettier than in the pictures, if that's possible! Very vibrant reds. There is also a pure white goldfish that is not pictured, which I'm thrilled about, since I lost my pure white one last year.
I had the fantail in my 30 gallon aquarium, where the other goldfish and fantails are awaiting to be moved to the pond, but he/she was just too large, so moved it to the basement pool (where the other fish were put), and it's doing way better! Much more room to move and no plants inhibit it's path. It is probably 3X the size of my fantail in my aquarium! Looked like a monster in there.
Thanks, PondKid, but such beautiful fish! I hope in the future I can share some babies back with you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have about 3 pure white goldfish, they are from the rescue fish. They sure do show up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The neat thing about these Comets is that most of them have 2 red eyes, or one red, one blue, like the all white fish. Very neat.
All fish are doing perfectly this morning. They are so large they make my 4-5" baby koi look like midgets! They did not eat this morning, but were below the koi eating. Wondering if they are more used to food that falls to the bottom, or floating food. Probably just not ready to eat yet, which is fine. I fed koi as usual, watched them all for about 15 minutes, they all seem to be getting along "marvelously". :LOL:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Glad that worked out for both of you. The red eyes Patti are what was catching my eyes as well. Oh, and what the pet store said is only partially true. Black usually doesn't sell well, HOWEVER, they usually sell for more than the regular koi when they do sell. FYI Now that being said, unless I missed something the koi that were pictured aren't solid black, and they will most likely change in color during the growing season. Black is more predominant during winter months, beni comes out more during the summer so be prepared for the fish to change to more orange or gold as the water warms more.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat that you got those nice fish from Pondkid CE! Can you take some pics of them in their holding tanks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I will take some pics, JW, but the lighting down in the basement is not that great. need to put in higher wattage bulbs above the "pool" and then show off my "hillbilly pond". :) The goldfish are huge compared to the small koi that they are with. And, there are at least 4 of the Sarassas that are VERY fat, so assume they are full of eggs, and likely females. We shall see. So far I have not seen any chasing. The fantail is way larger that I thought it was, and is gorgeous. I'm very pleased with them.
Larkin, I suspect you are very correct about color of those koi. The ones I have that are similarly marked are more black now, but way more orange or bronze in the summertime. I told PondKid when I sell some fish in a month or so, I'll give him the money for the koi. That way he didn't have to take them back home and then catch them again to sell them himself.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice of you to do that CE for Pondkid. Will look forward to seeing these pretty fish you acquired. And lucky you w/ the ones that will lay eggs and produce some more nice ones! You will have quite the herd!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, JW, I'm really anxious for them to spawn, and I know I won't have the new pond up and running in time, but that's my goal, hoping they will wait to spawn until they are in a larger area of water. That way all the pretty babies will be in the new pond (with existing pond water to get it going!) instead of trying to catch them from the bigger pond later on. Going to start my digging this weekend, but calling for heavy rainfall on Sunday. Guess I'll have to cover the hole. LOL And, with daylight savings on Sat. night, I'll be able to dig couple of hours each evening. Yippee!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well ya better get busy digging CE so those little babies will have a place to snuggle in and hide. You could put in some spawning mops where the big fish are now in the tanks or pool pen and catch the eggs and then try to save them. Might be a bit of a task for you tho w/ all the other stuff you have going on. Best of luck to ya and yes hooray for Spring forward time!

Reaction score
:D I’m glad you like the,m & happy to hear that they are doing so well, the two koi I kept are becoming more & more white & colorful each day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, PondKid, the ones I have are much lighter than in the picture you sent, too. All are doing fine, but my goal I have set is to get them all outside in the new pond this weekend. We shall see if I get that accomplished or not! Almost have it completely dug out, and have the main pump, so will have circulation going for sure. Just need to them get the bog dug and water going through that for filtration. Will have lots of plants to separate from my other bog to get it jump started, and hoping to get my plants from the basement brought outside this weekend, too. LOTS to do, but took tomorrow off so I'll have 3 days of work ahead and see how much I can get accomplished all by my little self. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, and I was going to tell you, PK, the koi have learned to eat with my little koi, but the goldfish never have come up to eat. They always swim below the koi. I'm wondering if you fed something that sunk to the bottom for them instead of floating pellets? I'm sure there are pieces that go to the bottom and they clean them up, just curious that they never come up to feed with the others.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My goldies swarm to the surface, even if I don't have food, maybe the bigger koi intimidate them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Actually, the beautiful goldfish I got from PK are much larger than the baby koi I got off of Ebay last December. The water is only about 14" deep, though, so maybe they don't feel normal in that shallow of water. But, soon .... very soon they will have deep large space! Better get my butt outside and to digging!

Ask a Question