need to test in winter

rdk

Reaction score
Now that it is getting cold how often should we check for ph and ammonia?. Should I continue to do weekly water changes? Thank you very much

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If your pond is not overpopulated and was cleaned before you stopped feeding, then there is no reason to check the chemistry unless you are curious over winter.

That said, there is no such thing as too many tests. However, common sense tell me not to do any when nothing is changing.

Fish are not going to produce much ammonia once they stop feeding and the pond will manage that little very well.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
In over year of having my small 365 gallon pond in the gorund, I have never checked the PH or ammonia. Why, because I have never seen any signs as to why I should check the PH and ammonia levels. The fish haven't shown any signs of stress and the plants have always been healthy. Based on the overall appearant balance that I see in my pond tells me there is nothing to be concerned about.

One thing that I have learned from 30 plus years of having indoor aquariums is that when the substarte is well or heavely planted with live plants, the plants will balance all of the chemistry in the water. The PH can be altered, but it will always be adjusted by the natural ability of the plants.

My personal conclusion is, don't over stock the pond with fish, and always have adequate plant life in the pond to create the natural balance you need for healthy water quality.

rdk

Reaction score
Could you tell me how many fish you have in your pond? I have two 5" goldfish and three 3" gold fish in my 300 gal pond.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have 7 Shubunkins that are 5" to 7", and 1 Sarrassa that is about 5". I also have about 15 trap door snails, and a half dozen mosquito fish that are less than a inch each. There are 2 Cascade frogs that live in or near by the pond, they stay quite close to the water.

rdk

Reaction score
I think I was having so much trouble because my filtration system is so poor. Right now I am doing weekly 30% water changes and my water tests are perfect. I am building a 30 gal barrel bio-filter this winter and I am hoping this will solve my problem. From what you are saying I should not have any problem keeping 5 small goldfish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no problems at all with a 30 gal filter..you should be able to maintain ideal water quality. even add another fish or two.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
In addition to what I shared before, I haven't done a partial water change since June. I have added water due to daily evaporation, but that's it.

Last week I broke down and cleaned my boi-filter, and it is in storage until next spring. My pond water is still clear, and the fish are still active.

Not sure why you would be getting bad PH and ammonia readings. Maybe you need to let things go for a week or two to see if it will balance out by itself. Do your fish appear to be healthy and active?

rdk

Reaction score
They always seemed to be happy and healthy. At one time when I tested the Ammonia it read 8.0. I ran to the store and bought large amounts of Ammo Lock. The fish did not seem to mind this one bit. I quickly did a 90% water change and in 24 hours the Ammonia levels went to 4.0. In 48 hours it went back to 8.0. I did another 90% water change and in 2 days it went back to 8.0. The fish lived awhile in large amounts of Ammo Lock. Then through the help of the Pond Forum I was told to try 30% water change every 7 days and like magic the Ammonia slowly dropped to 0.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
What finally happened is, the Bio ecosystem finally caught up with the load of fish waste. I wonder how much of the beneficial bacteria went with that first 90% change?

Ask a Question