New barrel pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have never used that aquatic compost but it looks sound like you need a cap to hold in the plant food.

If you look at the Walstad method for aquarium(there is a lot of misinformation so be careful) she says to cap the "dirt" with sand or very small gravel. This stops leaching of nutrients but stops any anaerobic zones form forming. Another thing that is vital is that 70% must be planted. I found this hard to understand 70% of what water volume? Then I look at it form, I don't won't to see 70% of the gravel on top of my sand cap. My sand cap is 1" over 1/2" or about 25mm over 12mm dirt very thin yes! I was trying to learn how with baby steps. I must admit this is my first Walstad aquarium and it has to much tannins making my water a light yellow. I do have pots following Walstad method in a 2k gallon pond that worked nice for my pond lilies.

If I was to redo my Walstad tank I would use a little more sand 1.5"-2" there is some "deep sand bed" I might be able to utilize.
(not recommended)

When I was first starting I would have removed all the dirt (aquatic compost) and started with a simple bog filter with some 3/8 pea gravel in it. may be few plants in the bog and look to mastering the nitrogen cycles before using a dirtied tank but then again I love to explore!

As a side note bubbles in freshwater points to phosphate (don't hold me to this!)but test phosphate levels
I need more research!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never used that aquatic compost but it looks sound like you need a cap to hold in the plant food.

If you look at the Walstad method for aquarium(there is a lot of misinformation so be careful) she says to cap the "dirt" with sand or very small gravel. This stops leaching of nutrients but stops any anaerobic zones form forming. Another thing that is vital is that 70% must be planted. I found this hard to understand 70% of what water volume? Then I look at it form, I don't won't to see 70% of the gravel on top of my sand cap. My sand cap is 1" over 1/2" or about 25mm over 12mm dirt very thin yes! I was trying to learn how with baby steps. I must admit this is my first Walstad aquarium and it has to much tannins making my water a light yellow. I do have pots following Walstad method in a 2k gallon pond that worked nice for my pond lilies.

If I was to redo my Walstad tank I would use a little more sand 1.5"-2" there is some "deep sand bed" I might be able to utilize.
(not recommended)

When I was first starting I would have removed all the dirt (aquatic compost) and started with a simple bog filter with some 3/8 pea gravel in it. may be few plants in the bog and look to mastering the nitrogen cycles before using a dirtied tank but then again I love to explore!

As a side note bubbles in freshwater points to phosphate (don't hold me to this!)but test phosphate levels
I need more research!
Thanks for your reply, I'll look that method up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... So it's about two weeks on since I decided to start again with the barrel pond. I cleaned it out thoroughly, repotted using the fabric mesh stuff along with removing the large amounts of aquatic soil at the bottom and replacing it with about an inch layer of gravel instead. Cleaned the entire filter out and it started off looking so much better for about a week. Now the algae and sludge has taken over big time, almost worse than before! I'm having to clean the filter out every 3 days. I tried a Blagdon pond pod but that hasn't seemed to have helped. I've attached the latest photos... Is this all normal? When will it settle? I can't see the plants there's so much algae and sludgey stuff....

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_113150.jpg
    IMG_20221011_113150.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20221011_113151.jpg
    IMG_20221011_113151.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20221011_113154.jpg
    IMG_20221011_113154.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20221011_113442.jpg
    IMG_20221011_113442.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also these pics from a few days ago but it's getting worse by the day. So much stringy sludgy algae stuff floating around and clinging to everything and the smell has returned!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your continuing troubles.

I am wondering if your plant soil is still adding too many nutrients even though it is not sifting out of the pot. With no fish and just the plants there should be no other source of pollution/nutrients. Might be too rich a planting medium for such a small volume of water. I do not know where else the foul smell would be coming from. Is it the rotten egg type smell?

You could try some alternative planting mediums like gravel or unscented kitty litter. Partial water changes are best to avoid disrupting the filter bacteria. Using an aquarium siphon can help remove debris from the gravel bed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not familiar with your pump but it looks a bit strong to be in a small barrel . if you have too much current the plants will not grow. in a barrel that small id look more at a air stone in a clear plastic filter with floss and carbon. WHEN THE FILTER FLOSS GETS DIRTY YOU JUST TOSS IT. As cfar as bacteria is concerned with only a few guppies you won't have much to worry about

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would agree with JRS the soil in leaching out ammonia and every thing else. The only other thing I can think of is the water you are using has some thing in it but you say it keeps getting worse that points to leaching

I looked at that aqua soil website they show putting it in burlap bag! That's like making a tea bag to grow algae there is many ways to make a planted pot this is just one way. Use a standard pot with small drain holes add some more holes so the roots can get free (or not and plain to repot) put a gravel layer then a 1" sand layer (or clay like kitty litter) a thin layer of dirt about 1-2", another 1" sand or clay (kitty litter) and top it off with gravel. Every one dose it a little different taking into consideration what plant is going in.

I don't see any aeration but its likely turned off for photos. If the return is not breaching the water surface then the smell is likely coming from anaerobic or anoxic water. The water just needs more oxygen. Just make the water dance for you.

I personally like this barrel pond it has a added bonus of a small bog filter and bogs are very low maintenance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, Hmm...yeah I don't get it. I know there is a process to pond cycling and I wondered if maybe this was normal at this stage but to have to keep cleaning the filter every two to three days seems a little extreme.

Do the plants need the soil? You mention just planting in gravel within the pots, will that work? I also considered increasing the aeration too? I know you can get air stones or maybe I need more oxygenating plants? Obviously with it being a barrel there isn't masses of room though so to add more with the filter might overcrowd it....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would agree with JRS the soil in leaching out ammonia and every thing else. The only other thing I can think of is the water you are using has some thing in it but you say it keeps getting worse that points to leaching

I looked at that aqua soil website they show putting it in burlap bag! That's like making a tea bag to grow algae there is many ways to make a planted pot this is just one way. Use a standard pot with small drain holes add some more holes so the roots can get free (or not and plain to repot) put a gravel layer then a 1" sand layer (or clay like kitty litter) a thin layer of dirt about 1-2", another 1" sand or clay (kitty litter) and top it off with gravel. Every one dose it a little different taking into consideration what plant is going in.

I don't see any aeration but its likely turned off for photos. If the return is not breaching the water surface then the smell is likely coming from anaerobic or anoxic water. The water just needs more oxygen. Just make the water dance for you.

I personally like this barrel pond it has a added bonus of a small bog filter and bogs are very low maintenance.
Wow that's some filter. I might need the ozpond guy to come round and build it for me though ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not familiar with your pump but it looks a bit strong to be in a small barrel . if you have too much current the plants will not grow. in a barrel that small id look more at a air stone in a clear plastic filter with floss and carbon. WHEN THE FILTER FLOSS GETS DIRTY YOU JUST TOSS IT. As cfar as bacteria is concerned with only a few guppies you won't have much to worry about
Thanks where might I get one of those? Seems a shame to ditch the current filter though as it cost me about £50... Starting to feel like I should have done more filter research!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is the water just moving around or is there really some good flow like a garden hose in there. If it's the garden hose I'd lean toward the standard aquarium air box filter. They were in every fish tank in every pet store a few years back before wet dry filters came along

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A bad small is not normal. Cloudy water and a little algae is a normal cycle start.

All other advice aside, start by fixing your potted plants. With no fish you need something to feed your plants. So I think you will need a little soil about 2-3cm but you will need to "trap" the nutrients in the pot. Trap it with sand or clay/kitty litter about 4-5cm top and bottom. The sides also if that's a mesh basket.

What is the liter per hour on the pump should have a sticker or something.

Ask a Question