New fish

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i have just put 12 goldfish in my pond that came from a very reputable dealer. So far in 4 days the fish are not eating the pellets or flakes they were eating before i got them. the water in the pond tests good lots of plants and aeration please help

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Please give us some information about your pond:

• How big is your pond?
  • how long has it been up and running?
  • how many fish were there before you added these, and how big are they? How big are the 12 you added?
  • you say your water tests were “good,” but it’s more helpful for us to know the actual number results.
  • are you using test strips or a drop test kit? we find that the test strips are not as reliable, so like to know what you used
  • “lots of plants and aeration” what kind of filter set up do you have and are you adding extra air with an air stone?
  • and it sounds like you didn’t quarantine the fish. Were these the first fish to go into your pond, or did you already have fish before you added these? If you already have fish, and you’re adding more, it’s a good idea to quarantine the new fish, even if they come “from a reputable source.” Moving fish is always stressful for them and sometimes when they get stressed, they will get sick. However, if these are your first fish, then quarantine isn’t necessary, as they are quarantining right now, in your pond.
Remember that it can take a while for fish to become used to and comfortable in a new environment, so you can expect a period of adjustment. Give them places to hide and feel safe, and...... BE PATIENT!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I definitely agree with @Mmathis, we do need more deatails of the pond, because there are just about a million things that could be going on here.

it could just be them getting used to the pond though

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome!

Please give us some information about your pond:

• How big is your pond?
  • how long has it been up and running?
  • how many fish were there before you added these, and how big are they? How big are the 12 you added?
  • you say your water tests were “good,” but it’s more helpful for us to know the actual number results.
  • are you using test strips or a drop test kit? we find that the test strips are not as reliable, so like to know what you used
  • “lots of plants and aeration” what kind of filter set up do you have and are you adding extra air with an air stone?
  • and it sounds like you didn’t quarantine the fish. Were these the first fish to go into your pond, or did you already have fish before you added these? If you already have fish, and you’re adding more, it’s a good idea to quarantine the new fish, even if they come “from a reputable source.” Moving fish is always stressful for them and sometimes when they get stressed, they will get sick. However, if these are your first fish, then quarantine isn’t necessary, as they are quarantining right now, in your pond.
Remember that it can take a while for fish to become used to and comfortable in a new environment, so you can expect a period of adjustment. Give them places to hide and feel safe, and...... BE PATIENT!
thanks for getting back to me about this problem, i'm a new guy at this so haven't learned patience. The pond is 12ft long and5ft wide kind of peanut shell shape.its about 3yrs old and for the last few yrs has had no fish so these are a first .im using test strips but will get the drop system .Ive got a waterfall and 2 air stones going the fish look really happy on the move all the time they came from a very small set up thank you for the information

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
thanks for getting back to me about this problem, i'm a new guy at this so haven't learned patience. The pond is 12ft long and5ft wide kind of peanut shell shape.its about 3yrs old and for the last few yrs has had no fish so these are a first .im using test strips but will get the drop system .Ive got a waterfall and 2 air stones going the fish look really happy on the move all the time they came from a very small set up thank you for the information
sounds like your fish are just getting used to the new enviroment, and they should begin to eat soon :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594855864132.gif
@randy baker
Yep just give them some time to get used to the place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree with others that they likely are just acclimatizing. When the goldfish are hungry, they should find stuff to eat in your pond so don’t over feed them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Agree with others that they likely are just acclimatizing. When the goldfish are hungry, they should find stuff to eat in your pond so don’t over feed them.
thanks a lot theres probably lots for them to eat in the pond it looks pretty healthy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I moved my chubbies from a 125 gallon tank to a 500 gallon stock tank and they took a few days to get used to it. They're now exploring and enjoying the new digs. It's so relaxing to see them swimming in a more natural environment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
haha thanks
Hi and welcome. It’s possible they are being visited at night by a racoon or another predator. I remember the very first day I built my original pond I was so excited I sat outside watching it until late. Suddenly a raccoon showed up and stepped in it to see what there was to eat! Are your fish hiding at the bottom and not coming up when you feed them? Having plants and other things to cover some of the pond will help make them feel safer.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome. What test and type of testing (strips, drops, tablets) are you doing? If you’ve never had fish before your pond will still need to cycle. You should notice a rise and then fall in ammonia. Next a rise and fall in nitrite. Since the ponds been going for a long time any wildlife visiting it will have contributed to the cycle so it is possible it will cycle fast, otherwise it is about a 6 week process.
it is a new environment for them, don’t feed them for the first few days, and then just a little every few days just to see if they are interested in eating. It may take a week or so for them to become comfortable in their new environment. Feeding very little is important initially until the nitrifying bacteria cycle has been established.
as mentioned, check for signs of critters visiting as well.

Reaction score
When we first added fish to our pond many moons ago, they hid in the rocks and crevices.
They were not visible at all for days...After awhile they emerged and all was well.

They more you time that you spend pond side, the more they’ll get used to you.

Ask a Question