New guy here

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Just started building my first-ever Koi Pond. It will be between 1500 and 1800 gallons when completed. I plan to have a bottom filter and UV clarifier along with a 32 gallon bio filter (DIY).

I have had quite a few questions about building a pond and quite frankly, there is so much information on the web! I'm glad I stumbled across this forum group.

Here's my latest photo of my pond project. The wall will run down into the water. The water level will be about 1 1/2 blocks from the bottom row.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 180
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome from the UK , I have along with my partner Val 27 years of koi keeping under our belts, s hopefully at some stage we should be able to help.
You dont mention the depth of the pond , I suggest you make the pond between 4 to 5ft in depth.
You must also think about over wintering your koi we cover ours with Polycarbonate sheets during the winter our own pond is free standing and has a great amount of insulation.
DIY filters are fine providing you get them right, remember koi produc a large amount of waste out the other end .
YOu also say it will be between 1500-1800 gallons US, you need to know exactly just how much water you have in the pondif it ever comes down to you treating them to much may kill .
We Metred the water into the pond and know exactly how much we have in the pond its exactly 1,000 imperial Gallons
Thus we know the correct amount of water in your pond when it comes to you treating your koi.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! Let me know if you're having problems with posting pictures :wave:

Ask a Question