New guy here

Reaction score
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm new to this forum but I've had a small pond for 5 years or so now. It's 1500-1700gal with 7 fairly large Koi. It's crazy how fast my little fish grew up. I live in Phoenix, AZ. There's a decent Koi community out here. Every year there's a Koi Show at the Chinese Cultural Center for Chinese New Year. That's were I picked up my baby Asagi and Shusui (They're still my favorites). I guess that's it for now. Back to lurking:)

Reaction score
hewhoisatpeace said:
Hey, welcome to the forum, Box. I'm just first pond, first year, myself, but glad to see you.

Thank you! Biggest lesson I've learned is not to cheap out on equipment. It'll cost you twice as much in the long run. It's a great hobby though isn't it? If it wasn't so hot this time of year I'd be out there right now enjoying the view and the sound of flowing water.

Edit: Thanks Koiguy1969. Glad to be here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome boxcar, from an ex phoenix gal, still have a house and pond there.

Glad to see you joined us.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Great if rather obsessive hobby, it is. You're right, can't go cheap on equipment. That's why I made a lot of mine, at least I know it's well assembled.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

addy1 said:
Welcome boxcar, from an ex phoenix gal, still have a house and pond there.

Glad to see you joined us.

Nice. I don't feel comfortable being away for more then a week at a time. I'm not sure I could leave some of my koi in a different state.

Besides the Phoenix koi organization and the show at Chinese New year, do you have any other recommendations on koi related stuff to look into out here?

hewhoisatpeace said:
Great if rather obsessive hobby, it is. You're right, can't go cheap on equipment. That's why I made a lot of mine, at least I know it's well assembled.

I wish I had done the same first time around. This is only my second pond and my first koi pond. I did as much research as I could before starting it but I didn't feel comfortable building my own filter unit. Everything else was done either with my own two hands or with the help of friends and family. No way was I going to be able to dig that hole entirely by myself.

I was originally using an in ground dual filter setup from some major company that was nothing but problems. It wasn't the cheapest but pretty close. It turned out to be a big price of junk though. I'm using a converted pool filter with bio media now. It's great to be able to go across the street and get all the o-rings and what ever other basic maintenance stuff I may need for it from the pool supply store:)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Boxcar said:
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Nice. I don't feel comfortable being away for more then a week at a time. I'm not sure I could leave some of my koi in a different state.

Besides the Phoenix koi organization and the show at Chinese New year, do you have any other recommendations on koi related stuff to look into out here?
:)

I don't have koi, just nickle feeder goldfish that have grown to a nice size. I have a professional pond keeper taking care of it, until the market recovers enough to sale my home.
so sorry I can't help you with koi organizations

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I don't have koi, just nickle feeder goldfish that have grown to a nice size. I have a professional pond keeper taking care of it, until the market recovers enough to sale my home.
so sorry I can't help you with koi organizations

Cool. I'd like to talk to you more about the pond keeper you're using. I hoping things will be back to normal by then but I may need some help with spring cleaning next year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Boxcar said:
Cool. I'd like to talk to you more about the pond keeper you're using. I hoping things will be back to normal by then but I may need some help with spring cleaning next year.

He isn't cheap, lol, He comes by twice a month to take care of the pond, stream and fish, but a very nice guy

Reaction score
addy1 said:
He isn't cheap, lol, He comes by twice a month to take care of the pond, stream and fish, but a very nice guy

Nothing in this hobby is:( lol I'll PM you for details if I end up needing someone. Thanks!

Reaction score
digginponds said:
post pics if you can..oh and WELCOME

Thank you.

Unfortunately it's Monsoon season here, so I'm dealing with another algae bloom (yeah). I hope these pics from 2008 and 2009 will do. Some of the Koi pictured are no longer in my pond. The spawn I kept from the year before got too big so I had to give some away.

Attachments

• IMG00051-1.jpg
    IMG00051-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_7327-1.jpg
    IMG_7327-1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_7329-1.jpg
    IMG_7329-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7334-1.jpg
    IMG_7334-1.jpg