New guy!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I started a back yard makeover last month and my next project is to install a raised Koi pond. I have a perfect spot picked out and I am thining of building a 6x12 enclosure 30" deep. I live in Louisiana, so we dont get very much cold. I am looking forward to researching and sharing this project. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome but do you know how large koi get my pond is 4 1/2 feet deep and my biggest koi aggie 8 years old is over 2 feet long .Koi produce a lot of waste and are very fussy about there water.the heat will be your biggest problem as koi don't like hot water and 30 inches deep the water will get very hot

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Sissy, I am going to build a small pergola over the pond whichever size I make it. I have done some reading about them, I thought the 4 1/2 feet was because of cold weather. Learning already!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep if I knew now what I should have known back then I would have went with fancy tailed goldfish or shubunkins or fantail goldfish they are so ,so much easier and just as pretty

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
Kois do need a lot more attention but are sure worth it! Ive visited a koi park in Japan and they have kois there 150 year old and more! You can pass it on to next generations to take care. Think thats cool. Goldfish and shubunkins are pretty but dont live that long.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome6.gif
Tim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have some really pretty goldfish and you can ask on here some of the people who have them .The fancy tails have long flowing tails .Sorry don't want to burst your bubble .I just know the mistake i made and having to worry constantly over them or cleaning the filters and netting the bottom of all the fish poo . :razz: I feel like I am there maid .Fish can be fun to watch and the sound of splashing water is so relaxing and feeding the fish a big joy .I am retired so I do have a little time on my hands ,very little, but some

Reaction score
I have a weird schedule. I work 7 days and I am off 7 days. One week a month is days, one week is nights. I need something to take my time up. The saying "idle hands are the devils tool" is SOO true! I started this whole yard makeover because of the DIY network. I did everything myself (with help naturally) but no contactors were involved.

2 months, just over $2500 and this is where I am so far
_DSC0586.jpg

needed 15 yards of dirt, poured 2 slabs, built a pergola, a patio cover...not too shabby!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks very nice, you did a great job and I can picture a nice big pond right near that patio :razz:
You have the room............why not? When you see some of the big ponds here you might just change your mind and go bigger :rolleyes:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
But you said 6' x 12' x 30" and I don't think that will come out to 2600 gals. Comes out to about 1500 gals give or take a little when I figure it out.

Use the following formula to determine the volume of your pond:
If the pond is already full of water, you can calculate the volume using both of the following formulas: (Be sure to convert volume to gallons or liters)
Square or Rectangular Pond:
Length x Width x Average Depth x 7.5 (Cubic feet) = Volume of Pond in gallons
Ex. 9' x 6' x 2'x 7.5 = 810 gallons
Round Pond:
Top Diameter x Bottom Diameter x Height x .785 = Volume of Pond in gallons
Ex. 3' x 3' x 2' x .785 x 7.5 = 106 gallons
Feet3 (Cubic Feet) x 7.48 = Gallons
Meters3 (Cubic Meters) x 1000 = Liters

Reaction score
sorry, I had the dimesnions at 6x15 x 4 1/2 feet deep when I got the 2600g

figured if I went deeper, I had to go bigger all around :)

Ask a Question