New here

Reaction score
Thank You everyone. The pond is clearing up a little but it is chilly this morning and I'm sure that helped. Do you guys add salt to your ponds? I did but not sure if I added enough. Is it about 1 cup per 100 gallons? I looked for a salt testing kit with no luck this past weekend. We have one for the pool at work so my hubby will bring a strip home this afternoon but it measures ppm. I am not sure on the ppm for a pond, still researching. Again thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never add salt. It seems it is mainly added to fight disease. I am sure ones that do add salt will chime in.

Reaction score
My pond isn't all that pretty but i will try to post some pictures. Your pond is so beautiful. Wish when I first started I would have been more informed. Mine started as a very small pond for my south american wood turtles for summer fun, but then I bought 6 shubunkins. Oops, they soon made more fish and the pond grew and so did my love for them and the pond. Now there are some where around 76 of them. I have to run out right now so when I get back I will see what pictures I can find.

Reaction score
My pond didnt turn out the way it was planned and after the 4th attempt to "get it right" i asked the constructors to leave. Since then i have been trying to landscape it to make it look like what i had in mind - compensating with plants!
I have 8 goldfish and i hope it stays that way - dont want a poulation explosion in my pond

Reaction score
P7040688.JPGIMG_0339.jpg

Attachments

• P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 189
  • P8230571_1.JPG
    P8230571_1.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
Didn't quite turn out like I wanted but I think you will be able to see the progression somehow. I wrote a little something before I posted the pics. but that didn't work either. So went from turtle pond to small fish pond to larger fish pond. To had to replace the liner pond. Bev12 nothing as beautiful as yours, nor most of the other ponds on this forum. Still I love it. Have never lost a fish to sickness, just a few from a predator of some kind. Haven't seen the evil being yet.... just a fish will disappear.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All and any ponds are beautiful. We all have different desires, views of what we like and want, if you like what you have it is BEAUTIFUL!

Reaction score
Thanks Abby1 your is truly a work of art. So very beautiful. All day I've been trying to think of how I could incorporate a bog for my pond. Just love the idea of it, not to mention how nice it looks.

Reaction score
your pond is beautiful !
You can change the optic of your pond with plants etc. Thats the fun part

Reaction score
Bev12 thank you very kind. The water lilies have come to the surface now and we are contemplating on more plantings. We just had a freeze warning last night soooo.... we wait. Does Austria have a winter season? I didn't get a chance to check out that pond clear but would it help with pea soup? I changed the UV light just waiting for it to help.

Reaction score
austria has a winter it gets down to -15-20C so i turn off the waterfal and just have air bubbles in the pond to stop it freezing over.

dont know about pea soup- when i turn on the waterfall in the spring - the water gets cloudy and you can see bits floating around in the water.
when i use this "pond clear"( i only put in half the amount ) and this stuff clears the pond like magic - you would have to clean out the skimmer after the water has cleared - i have uv light on the fliter system but i have never used it. i dont mind a bit of algae growing in the pond as long as it doesnt get out of controll

as far as i'm concerned you cant have too many plant in a pond - it looks good - it shades the pond, so less algae and youd be surprised how many normal garden plants can be put into the shallow ends of a pond

Reaction score
I agree about the plants, people here have mentioned grasses so I will see what I can find here. Also am going to try a pillow in my filter, another suggestion. My plants just went in to the pond a week or so ago, it still has been cold here. I have a creeping primrose that really took off last year, (over wintered in my sun room) hoping for the same this year. Work in progress, love it.

Ask a Question