sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Contractor here tried to talk me out of the basement and i held my ground and glad I did .They also said I did not need 2 x6 wall studs or the sound board inside and outside .Sorry but I wanted my house sound proof .Then I wanted triple pane windows .Norris homes did every thing I asked for but I had to get them all the info on the stuff .Like the central vac system and handicap accessable info .Now they offer it to all there customers as an upgrade package

Reaction score
sissy said:
Contractor here tried to talk me out of the basement and i held my ground and glad I did .
People can decide for themselves if they want a basement or not. Personally, hurricanes or not, I want a basement, but that's MY view. If I am willing to pay the extra to have it, who are they to complain.

sissy said:
They also said I did not need 2 x6 wall studs or the sound board inside and outside .Sorry but I wanted my house sound proof .Then I wanted triple pane windows .Norris homes did every thing I asked for but I had to get them all the info on the stuff .Like the central vac system and handicap accessable info .Now they offer it to all there customers as an upgrade package
Define NEED ... if you wanted a bit more sound proofing, the 2 x 6 framing would give it to you, with the added thickness of insulation, plus of course the sound board. Your desire and money tells me it was a NEED for you. We added R15 in all the interior walls around the bedrooms and bathrooms ... not a true sound insulation, but helps, and was cheap enough (as in free, since the company we bought it from screwed up and delivered too much - they didnt want to send a truck back to get it LOL).

A 2 x 6 is also stronger than a 2 x 4. I looked at doing 2 x 6 instead of 2 x 4, but I was only looking at the insulation cavity. I decided that I didnt want to give up the slight extra space, and pay for the window and door extension jams soley for the added insulation. The overall return on the dollar wasnt good enough. I did still upgrade the exterior wall insulation, and personally hit each window or door unit with insulation, blow foam, and insulation tape on the inside, and put Valcor (self sticking rubber membrane) on the exterior side, all the way around each window/door ... My choice, my labor, and my money :) Also did the triple pane windows (Anderson), and a high effeciency heating system (99+% effeciency system hook to hot water radiant) ... My goal was to insulate and heat the best I could, with a fair investment/return ratio.

Reaction score
Big Lou said:
I wasnt clear in my post that all the teleposts you see in the pictures were not part of the foundation ... those were temp items to support the house while he was digging and the cribbing was built, so the steel beam could be slid into place later. I have a couple of videos of that job too, but they are not exactly "professional quality" ... I was flipping out that he was on that site alone for a good portion of the dig out, as the old wood beams holding the house were rotted and hardly SAFE, so he would send me pics and videos with his phone every so often of the progression/or what area he was working on to keep my worry level down ...

Reaction score
Big Lou said:
Capewind, I was mistaken. The "This Old House" project that I thought was on Cape Cod actually took place in Nantucket.
Nantucket is still part of Cape Cod:) Just cant take a bridge to get there, need to take the ferry instead.

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures today... Bev12 I'll try to take a few more in the morning. Seems every close-up I took had a bubble on the fishes face...LOL

Attachments

• P5190980.JPG
    P5190980.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 186
  • P5190985.JPG
    P5190985.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 167
  • P5190988.JPG
    P5190988.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 163
  • P5190981.JPG
    P5190981.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 151
Reaction score
hi there
water is looking good, what lovely fish you have.
Do you have more then one pond. The first lot of pics you posted it looked like you have 2 different ponds?
What kind of climate do you have - do you have a winter?

Reaction score
Hi Bev12

Those first pictures were the pond as it grew. Started as a small puddle for my turtles, (south american wood turtles), for summer outdoor fun. Then we decided to get 6 goldfish (shubunkins). They reproduced so we expanded the pond. Again the fish made more fish, we added on to the pond with a deeper side. It stayed like that for a few years until the liner developed a split or two. Early spring this year we pulled up the whole liner and replaced it with a large, one piece, liner. Didn't want to waste any of that rubber so the pond got another make over and we removed the fence, (was there to keep the turtles in originally).

We do get winter, snow and lots of cold weather. We get 4 seasons, summer will bring hot humid days, spring is usually very wet, fall is nice except all the leaves fall off the trees and end up in the pond (ugh). The past few days its been around 70, mid day. Raining at the moment.

Thank You (about the fish)

Reaction score
we have had so much rain over the past week or so, which was good for the pond.

hope the "summer" here will be better then last year - last year was very cold and damp- it can only get better :cheerful:
do the turttles and the shubunkins get on - i suppose the turtles would have to come in for the winter
Hows the rescue fish - still alive?

there has been alot of chasing going on in the pond over the past 2 weeks, but till now i havent seen any baby fish which is a good thing - dont have the room for too many more fish

Reaction score
(Pouting with hurt feelings) ... I drove by your house waving about 5:30, but you werent outside to wave back!!! LOL. Didnt have enough time for more than a quick hello, so didnt call to say we'd be passing you again. Crazy afternoon trying to get todays estimates done.

Reaction score
So sorry 'cape' I was there but not looking at the road, but the pond. May have just gone in side... :disappointed_anim: you are a buzzy, buzzy girl.... LOL... :helm2:

Bev, that chasing around will find you with more fish. I feed them less at those moments, hoping they eat the eggs, that is until the plants take off and the fry can hide. Like I said before, started with 6 now 76 or so.
Hurt guy (?) is hanging in there, still lonely, I am not sure about adding a few small ones for company. Don't want him to be picked on again. Also those little ones are hard to catch, to quick, (wow) :grumble:

Reaction score
Oops. turtles... they now have a separate pen for summer fun, but they do get along with the fish, or i should say, the fish accept them well enough. The turtle boys (Mr. Big & Winston) love dandelions, clover and worms so we let them graze. Yes they live indoors all winter, fall and spring. Has to be really warm for them to go out side. They do so love to swim in the pond though. We put a small pool in their summer pen, not as exciting as the fish pond though. I'll get a picture of them when it warms up, in the pond and in the pen.

Reaction score
I think I saw the pond area through the fence, but was paying more attention to where the front door and driveway were, to see if anyone was outside LOL. As soon as the rain stopped, shot over for an estimate in Y-port, then he went to work for half the day ... poor guy gets home to me telling him he has appointments to four more ... Over to the Mills, then C'ville, then by you enroute to Brewster ... client there even told him to go home, and I had to tell him he still had one more LOL ... The bad news is I think he got all of them LOL...

Reaction score
oh! heavens, hope my lot will eat the eggs. Dont know how long it takes for the eggs to hatch, but will keep my fingers crossed that maybe 1-2 will make it and no more then that.
I am sure if you added a young fish to the "hurt guy" it wouldnt attack him!

Ask a Question