New here.

Reaction score
Hello,

I've stumbled around the internet unable to find what I was looking for and finally found this site.
I'm really happy to have found this place, it's full of great information and helpful and friendly people.

I'm a total novice (so pardon my ignorance) but I'm planning a garden pond, probably few if any koi. I like the idea of water plants, the sound of moving water, and maybe some orange colored fishies swimming around.

However, most of the other sites cater exclusively to large koikeepers, and consequently, have filter systems that would make a small municipalities wastewater treatment system envious. :razz:

I'm planning on an 8X10 or 8X12 ft pond , 2-3' deep, maybe 1' of that above ground framed with wood. Not a heavy fish load.

Not sure what type of filter to use, but would like to avoid UV's and the expensive store bought stuff.

I'm very handy so I was thinking one of Dr Dave's 55 gallon drums or maybe just a veggie filter. Would i need both? Are UV's a necessity in my climate (sunny FL) ? How about a skimmer?

Anyway, I don't wanna go on too long. Thanks in advance for a great site and for any feedback.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeautumn2.gif
archimedes
With your pond going to be as big as it is and w/ lots of plants and maybe just a few pretty goldfish I think you could get by w/ a pretty simple setup. I'd go w/ the 3ft deep so fish can stay cooler down below in Summers. I think the drum set up would work well. Don't know about uv's as I don't have one. Don't have a skimmer either. Just use a net to scoop. You'll get plenty of advice to choose from here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and hope you find the info you need .I have koi and very fussy fish they are .You could use snails also to help with algae .I hot Florida you may want to go deeper water heats up fast .You have a great place down there for plants florida hill nurseries ,lucky you as you can grow the plants they offer .Darn I can't LOL

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum
You can start with 1 Dr Dave filter and add a second if you need too

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WELCOME ARCHIE.......CAN I CAll you that? ....ARCHIMEDES IS TOO LONG!
thousands of years old and still ponding thats great!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome glad you joined!

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

My pond is a simple garden pond, 11k gallons or so, goldfish shubunkins, filtered by a bog. How you make yours will depend on your room, what you want to end up with and the kind of fish you put in your pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard!
From the sound of what your wanting I would suggest staying away from Koi. although you could easily keep some in that size pond for a good while there are drawbacks, Koi dig, they get large, they eat plants,and they aren't the best choice of fish for a natural looking pond. There are several color and body shape goldfish that look equally as nice as many koi, some getting up to 14'-16" long and that's a pretty big fish! Colors, Orange, white, red and white, multi color, black, yellow, bronze, chocolate, many kinds of fins and body shape. They don't dig nearly as bad as Koi, don't wreck the pond nearly as bad when they spawn, and in most cases are more hardy. I've kept water Gardens for 20+ years, of those I've kept some Koi for about half of that time. I love my Koi, don't get me wrong, but for a water garden with a nice plant selection, goldfish just do a far better job, and far cheaper to maintain when it comes to filtering!
Now, on to some technical advice, Skimmer- Highly recommend, improves oxygen, removes dust and foam that can disrupt the viewing pleasure, helps to remove floating leaves, plus if you choose a good one some even come with pre-filters which can be cleaned to help remove larger waste before getting to your primary filter.
UV light, This is a item I would plan on at some point being able to install if needed. No need to run out and get one just make sure and leave a place in the system so one could be installed if needed. I would say 75% of those that used a UV had a water issue that they needed to address more than a UV light. they work great when needed but if the proper water balance, fish ratio, and plant ratio are obtained in the initial setup in many cases they aren't needed at all.
Pump- don't waste your money on a cheap pump, get recommendations from those that have been using pumps for many years. a good pump can cost more up front but can save it back in electricity used over the life of the pump, and how long it lasts. I do however recommend having at least on cheap pump on hand for emergency's, never know what or where your going to need it and a decent cheap pump may be able to save the fish until other repairs are made. Harbor Freight sells a good cheap pump that is great for this and comes with a bought extended warranty. Be sure and have some flexible hose that will attach in case you need to plumb something up in a hurry.
Bottom drain, If you are getting someone to help you install the first pond and they have experience, I advise installing one, Over time they can be a great benefit to overall water quality, BUT many of us have gotten away without one for many years with still having successful ponds.
You mention about veggie filter, I run my pond through the filter then pump to a plant only pond of about 300 gallons, the flow through this pond is about 200 GPH, the rest of my pump goes to the stream and directly back to the pond, It helps greatly in keeping nitrates lower and polishes the water in helping remove suspended particles in the water, Not necessary but I enjoy mine greatly and it was a low cost add on that has paid big dividends in water quality as well as beautiful plant growth.
depth, I strongly recommend researching about pond depths in your area, and pro's and con's of pond depth. 3' is the minimal deep depth I would recommend. I would push for a good size area about 4' deep to help cool the water in the summer for your location. Winter you shouldn't have much of a issue if you go at least 3'
Shelves and the side are equally important as well though. Shallow water will attract predator,s ex specially birds and raccoons. most recommend a drop at the sides of 2' or greater. You can always add a plastic milk crate or similar base to lift and place pots on to get them close to the surface, this will also provide cover and protection for smaller fish. Many like to blend in the sides so that the sides meet the water, make sure and think about possible netting or straight down sides to 2' or deeper to protect against predators.
One last thing, when considering using wood, wood will rot over time. make sure you really think about it and keep as little in direct contact with the ground as possible, this saves lots of headaches down the road.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have cheapy harbor freight pumps and have been using them for 9 years now and only had one burn out but my fault and with the warranty they replaced it no questions asked .I only paid 22 dollars and then 5 dollars for the 3 year warranty and it was 1268 gph .not bad .If it had been an expensive pump I think I would have cried .For starter pump may be a good idea just to start with cheap one and then upgrade to a better one and keep the cheap one for spitters or for just extra water flow to oxygenate the pond .Never hurts to have a stand by pump in emergencies .Just because these pumps are cheap it does not mean they are not work horses .Better to be prepared than worrying if your fish are going to die while you wait for a repair or replacement on an expensive pump .The you never knows so be prepared for anything .I don't use a skimmer nothing really falls in the pond so that you will have to decide if you need it or not .I used retaining wall block to build up my sides .Fishin is right about depth as water will stay cooler too .

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions

Fishin4cars,
What kind of filter do you use? I had never heard that skimmers can ad oxygen to the pond, I learned something new. Do I need to add an air pump to my pond for oxygen, I haven't seen much talk about that but I do remember having one on my aquarium as a kid.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use an aerator and I think most do here .I like to run a air hose into the filters also .

Ask a Question