sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In Canada the koi club suggest 5 feet for the sake of safety because of freeze unless you are using pond heaters

Reaction score
even a mini bog works. you can't see the planter anymore but it is full of gravel and you see the plants grow like weeds in it. it is only 170 gal pond and I had two 7" koi two 4" koi and 3 4 inch gf and the water was great. I only had the koi to tame down the other fish and they have a new home now.
E5E194B8-orig.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
love your mini bog Steve! but then I am a bog lover...........

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Well,

Just got an email from the company doing our backyard escape project. Apparantly they were in talking with the Nursery
where they will be getting all the plants and pond equipment and the manager that was there had mentioned they had
spoken with me about how excited we were about the project and I had brought up the Bog with them.

Now, when the owner of the landscaping company and I first met and spoke to come up with a design I mentioned I wanted to incorporate A bog and he would look at that within the design. When we got the diagram/design I guess I had not noticed that the bog was not there as it was a very busy design.

Bottom line is, she emailed me to let me know that she knew I was expecting a bog from her conversation with the Nursery and that the bog was not actually incorporated into the design due to yard size and cost? So....No bog for me. :(

The design is still quite elaborate and we are still going through with the project starting this Monday and if I could post a PDF file somehow onto this post you could all see the design.

Cheers.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just do an attach files, select your pdf and it will be in the post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Carpe, maybe ask that they take part of the edge, which was going to be lower anyhow, and make it into a bog! That's how I did mine, thanks to hints on this forum. My bog is on the edge of my pond, with a wall in between. Skimmer pumps into the bog, under the gravel and then there is a section where the bog water flows back into the pond. It should not be that hard for them to leave a wall on the inside when the dig your pond. :) From the enjoyment I get with my bog and the plants that are growing there, I would never have a pond without one. BUT, you will have the ledges on the edge (I think you said 1' on the edge) to put pots of plants, so it will have the added benefit of filtration through the plant roots, etc. but no pea gravel. Remember, YOU are the boss! LOL And, the dig has not started, so now is the time to change your mind and add it, if you really want it. Good luck!!! Can't wait to see pics as it begins and progresses. Bet you are excited as all get out as well!

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Evening everyone.

I didn't get the before pictures but I do have the following day 1 and day 2 pictures. :)

Day 1: Not much done due to rain but that's ok because the price is set for the job regardless how long it takes.

NewBackyard002.jpg

NewBackyard003.jpg

Day 2: Coming along with more digging. You can see the outline for the brick patio in front and then the pond right
beside it with a very large Weir and Skimmer. Flexible tubing has already been run from the skimmer to Weir and is
burried.

NewBackyard005.jpg

NewBackyard006.jpg

NewBackyard007.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great pics! Enjoy watching the progress! Dream of the fish that will inhabit the pond and the plants that will be so pleasing to the eye, and so wonderful for the water filtration as well. Keeping my eye on your post for more pics as progress continues. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fun to watch it from start to finish. Looks like things are going good so far and keep posting the pix.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is fun, thanks for inviting us to enjoy your fun! ie sharing your pictures.

Ask a Question