New House, New Pond!

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Day 3: Yesterday; The guy's are working hard on the 5/8 Limestone rock(screening) for the brick terra cota patio. The pond will not
be dug out until the pond expert comes in two day's. As planned the Pergola will be along the edge of the pond with all the outdoor
patio furniture.

What is everyone's opinion on adding soft rock to the bottom of the pond? Do or Don't and reasons for both. Thanks again all.

Day3001.jpg

Day3002.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Don't add rock to the bottom of the pond, Even ponds that are specifically designed to have rocks in the bottom have problems over time. The muck and fish waste gets all in the rock and is almost impossible to clean out without completely taking the pond down and cleaning. A real PITA job! If you leave just the liner on the bottom natural algae growth will cover the pond and it will blend in naturally and when it comes time to clean it's so much easier to just vacumn the muck out or net the leaves if there is no obstructions.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The rock will disappear over time with the pond muck that will build up unless you have fantastic water movement, you sweep/vacuum the bottom on a regular basis.

The liner with algae growth and some dirt will look like a natural bottom after a small amount of time.

The fish can damage themselves on the rock also. When we saved the fish one did tear it side smashing into a rock as we tried to net it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rock will never go on the bottom of my pond. You want a headache..................put rock in! You want nightmare's...............put rock in! You want nice dreams and peaceful days w/ no headache's and a clean pond....................don't put rock in!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love river rock but not in a pond but really does look nice in a stream and makes for great aeration and noise factor .But the larger river rock gardens look really great around the pond .I just saw one on you tube ..This guy had some of those weeping pines and one was sorta falling over the waterfall .But makes me wonder what happens to water quality when the needles shed off them .What are you planting around your pond carp _diem

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just noticed by your pic looks like the rock for your patio goes into the pond area and I hope they are getting them all out of there before they put the liner in .I also noticed your comment about the pergola and I hope after they put the footings in they are going to put extra underliner near and around them so they do not heave with the cold coming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Everyone has agreed on the "no rocks IN the bottom of the pond", but I was wondering if you meant using small rock like pea gravel UNDER the liner. If so, from what I've read, it's best to use carpeting or something to help cushion IF you have roots and sharp rocks, and then an underliner, then the liner. I thought using sand under the liner would be good, but there is no way to keep it on the sides. Could use it on the bottom, though, ... I think. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very nice job! I love it, especially since you are using the same colors I have chosen for my sidewalk, etc. - black and red it looks like. :) Tell them to hurry with the sidewalk, so the Pond Expert can get them going on the pond. I know, all in due time ..... :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
love the look carp diem I like nice brick work

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

Well, I skipped day 4 because i did not see much progress but here are some shots from today on day 5:

1. Rocks anyone!!! They delivered some rock for the pond and gardens today.

001-1.jpg

2. Deck is complete with some accent rocks on the corners!!!!

002.jpg

3. Some large rocks placed for the retaining wall, still more to place.

003.jpg

END OF DAY 5

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the herring bone brick pattern, was going to do that on mine but too much cutting for me. Those are some nice boulders.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow looking good! love the patio. and what a great pile of rocks.

Ask a Question