New Koi Mom needs help, please.

Reaction score
I just moved into a home that came with a very pretty pond and some lovely koi & goldfish. They've been happily living in this pond for about six years. The owner gave us a brief lesson on feeding the fish and flushing the pump system but also let us know that the company that initially installed the system has since gone out of business. He did tell us that we needed to know that the pond was 3500 gallons. That's about all he told us and being new to the fish care idea, we were silly enough to think we were all set.

Not so.

In the middle of the move, the pump system failed. We realized that the airtight lid to the filter system was cracked (and not airtight) so ordered a new one and that seemed to get everything back on line. We also had to order a new UV bulb since it was due for a new one (thank you for also letting us in on that bit of info, Mr.Former owner). But it went a few days on an air-stone without filtration and the algae went wild. So, new UV light was ordered and eventually replaced. In the meantime, I set up a secondary mechanical filter (Thank you, Horton!) with quilt batting and in a few days, the pond was clean.

Thinking all was well with the world, we dismantled the trashcan filter, added some plants (none were here before), added some bacteria...and we're back to green.

I've searched through all of the paperwork the former homeowner left and only find a receipt for the pond equipment and not even the name or model of the filter system is listed. I'm attaching a photo of the system set up in hopes that someone recognizes the models and can tell me if we have the proper equipment for this sized pond.

Am I correct in thinking that it's probably something to do with the UV light malfunctioning?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 292

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
everything needs to start working again and filters need time and green will go away .Never saw one like that except on a pool .Could it be similar to some of the ones on you tube built by big pond builders maybe .You can check out you tube to see and send there company a pic of the set up .

Ask a Question