New koi on the way!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will also be working more this school season to plump up my pond bank account! I am a substitute teacher and a tutor at a local college. Lol. So that will cut down on pond building/playing hours, but it will give me more $ to afford more pond stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you did have a new liner, you could leave the fish where they are till the new pond is ready. Then you could use some of the old liner, which has the carpet algae on it, to jump start things in the new pond.

Good news you have a back hoe handy :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That backhoe has been a back saver today! Temp hole is mostly dug, shed pieces are stacked out of the way, and the shovel is prepped and ready for wielding tomorrow. Sweat was pouring today, and it wasn't even that hot out! Hope tomorrow is nice too

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a job! When you have time to breath post some pictures! Take some of the old pond before you tear it down.

Reaction score
I don't know about using an old liner. I suppose if it leaks you could leave it in place and put a new one over it but then you would have to redo the stone work and skimmer if you have one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, temporary tarp is in, water has been filled, plants been tossed in and a pump has been circulating air for a few days. Water temp is up to 76-78. And I moved Bonnie and Betty over. They were none to happy about that, but hopefully will adjust. Putting some hiding rocks in later this afternoon and going to run another air stone as soon as I get an outlet configured for it. I am picking up one of the two filters from the guy's setup later this afternoon, and if I can catch one of the koi, I will bring it over. I will probably transfer them one at a time so I can watch for adjustments that need to be made. Why am I so nervous? *sigh. It is the first day of school, so I can deal with this uninterrupted with taking teenagers all over the place at least!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Poor pic, but best I could get at the moment!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How deep? I hope at least 3.5ft to have the Koi make it through the CT winter..

We've visited dozens of ponds in the greater Chicagoland area that are between two and two and a half feet deep and the fish do fine through our winters. I don't know where that idea comes from that they need deeper water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
We've visited dozens of ponds in the greater Chicagoland area that are between two and two and a half feet deep and the fish do fine through our winters. I don't know where that idea comes from that they need deeper water.

Ponds can freeze in the north from 6-10 inches. Even though Koi aren't very active under the ice I dont believe having fish live in a 2 to 2.5ft pond is very humane or healthy. My Koi are about 25 inches in length and close to 10lbs. 14 inches of living space for them for 6 months wouldnt be much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
14 inches of living space for them for 6 months wouldnt be much

So 20" is more humane than 14"? There are ponders who think it's inhumane (or at the very least risky) to leave fish outdoors at all in the kind of weather we get. So I guess it's all a matter of perspective. But my point was only will fish survive if your pond is under 3 1/2 feet deep in a cold climate? The answer is obviously yes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
So 20" is more humane than 14"? There are ponders who think it's inhumane (or at the very least risky) to leave fish outdoors at all in the kind of weather we get. So I guess it's all a matter of perspective. But my point was only will fish survive if your pond is under 3 1/2 feet deep in a cold climate? The answer is obviously yes.

Yes..Yes I actually do feel an extra 1/2ft is more humane. Leaving fish outdoors in the winter inhumane? They are fish not dogs or cats

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes..Yes I actually do feel an extra 1/2ft is more humane. Leaving fish outdoors in the winter inhumane? They are fish not dogs or cats

Like I said - it all depends on perspective. My family members who farm for a living would never consider having a cat or dog in the house - that's what barns are for. They think we are rather loony about our pets.

I personally believe that my fish could care less how much space they have over their heads during the cold months - as long as they don't freeze solid it's all the same to them.

Now you said it's neither humane NOR healthy - humane is a subjective matter, but healthy can be a matter of fact. If fish emerge from winter in good health, then I would assume their winter conditions were healthy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Like I said - it all depends on perspective. My family members who farm for a living would never consider having a cat or dog in the house - that's what barns are for. They think we are rather loony about our pets.

I personally believe that my fish could care less how much space they have over their heads during the cold months - as long as they don't freeze solid it's all the same to them.

Now you said it's neither humane NOR healthy - humane is a subjective matter, but healthy can be a matter of fact. If fish emerge from winter in good health, then I would assume their winter conditions were healthy.

Not to keep going back and forth with a silly debate but you dont believe that the less space you have makes for a smaller space for ammonia gasses to gather? I just believe having a deeper pond about 3-3.5ft with an aerator or 2 throughout winter gives the fish a healthier and happier environment to live in for 6 months. If you were to build a pond why not dig a foot or more deeper? Its not that much more work and when fish get larger its one less thing you have to worry about..

Ask a Question