New koi on the way!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think it's silly. I think it all goes to how a pond is constructed and functions. I think overall volume matters more in terms of water quality, with surface area being a big consideration. Less space? Sure. Less depth? No. And a two foot deep pond can run aerators just like a 3.5 foot deep pond, so no difference there.

Why not go a foot or 18 inches deeper? Because it can be back breaking labor. Or next to impossible in areas with bedrock. And if it's an option NOT to, then why not mention that it's ok to have a 24 or 30 inch pond, too?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't think it's silly. I think it all goes to how a pond is constructed and functions. I think overall volume matters more in terms of water quality, with surface area being a big consideration. Less space? Sure. Less depth? No. And a two foot deep pond can run aerators just like a 3.5 foot deep pond, so no difference there.

Why not go a foot or 18 inches deeper? Because it can be back breaking labor. Or next to impossible in areas with bedrock. And if it's an option NOT to, then why not mention that it's ok to have a 24 or 30 inch pond, too?

You are right Lisa...I concede..

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mind the back and forth on differing theories. The fish that I am moving have survived CT winters in a pond 2-2.5 feet deep for about 10 years, and I believe that the new pond is 2.5-3 feet deep now. I haven't taken exact measurements. Shallow end is knee deep ( now I have a frog chorus in my head). And the two deeper spots are nearly up to my hip, and I am 5'4". I'll probably take a tape measure out later today. I originally planned to bring in all koi for the winter (when I had 2). But I don't have the stock tanks for that with the additional members. Now there is a koi pond and a shubunkin, comet, shebomet pond. There are two shubunkin, four comets, and goodness knows how many shebomets in the small pond, plus many smaller fry in the shallow stock tank. I was working on a bog stream that would empty into the bigger pond, but all work on that is suspended until I figure out what I am going to do with this temporary pond and all the new fish. I just sat out there with my coffee and yard eggs and toast looking around trying to envision some sort of system that will work.

The pond I am moving has a skimmer, which I have no experience with, and they have water falling through pic pipe that has been drilled, down a rock wall. I have to move so many rocks that it is really overwhelming when I think about it. I have to pull out lilies in baskets that are growing right out of the baskets (I brought one home last night) and there are at least three more...I have to pull up an iris patch about 3'x3' in the water...I have to lower the water and transport more than 10 koi abou 3 miles to my house. Then I have to move dirt and rocks and who knows what else to see if I can get the liner up. (And the wife said there may be snakes! Yikes!) Did I mention that the water is absolutely disgusting? Can't even see the fish swimming on the top. And yesterday I brought home the older filter and cleaned it out...o my word....the smell!!! But then, you are all ponders, so you know what I am talking about! Lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few shots of where the old pond is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 200

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Marlee Clark Just hoping to keep this thread from getting out of hand :happy:.

Sometimes our "guys" will get into a heated discussion that totally hi-jacks the OP's thread to the point that the original message or question is lost or forgotten. I like to read differences of opinion, as well [get lots of good ideas that way, LOL], but sometimes I feel that these discussions would be more appropriate moved to a new thread.......[unless it's the OP that is involved, then, WTH -- it's his/her thread -- go for it :punch:].

Since you don't mind, again, WTH, but sometimes [newer] members might feel intimidated, unwelcome, confused, angry.....

@Jersey_Marine and @Lisak1 -- This isn't aimed at you guys, just in general. It's one of my pet peeves when threads [especially ones started by newer members] get hi-jacked. So it's not the "information exchange" that bothers me so much as it is the hi-jacking. No offense intended.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
have to move so many rocks that it is really overwhelming when I think about it.
Hopefully you will have lots of nice fall days to do all this work. It sounds so exciting. And so nice to at least have some rocks for the new pond. Good luck with the new build and keep us updated on your progress!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully you will have lots of nice fall days to do all this work. It sounds so exciting. And so nice to at least have some rocks for the new pond. Good luck with the new build and keep us updated on your progress!
We live in CT...so really all you need to do to find rocks is move a foot and dig! Lol. It is finding the right flat rocks that you may actually have to go to the woods for. Luckily, my husbands family has woods, we just have to get in the truck and haul those suckers! Husband hates rock hunting days because I always find the heavy ones! My father in law also has a stash of old cobblestones, so husband brings a load home every so often.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We live in CT...so really all you need to do to find rocks is move a foot and dig! Lol. It is finding the right flat rocks that you may actually have to go to the woods for. Luckily, my husbands family has woods, we just have to get in the truck and haul those suckers! Husband hates rock hunting days because I always find the heavy ones! My father in law also has a stash of old cobblestones, so husband brings a load home every so often.
So jealous! We have to buy our rocks here.....and I love rocks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking pond even though it was neglected. Nice rocks around the edge to

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks addy. The couple just got overwhelmed with work and life, and the pond suffered. Once it had an algae bloom, they just couldn't get it cleared up and got frustrated. I have a better net to try to get the remaining fish today or tomorrow. I would really like to have most of the trips to this guys house done so I won't be bothering them. I am also switching the pump and filter since the koi pond is bigger and in need of the better filter. Once I get his pond emptied I will have another good pump and filter to work with. I think the filter is a Laguna. Not sure about the pump yet. Lots of work still ahead of me! OTOH, I came home from work yesterday and the Mr had been working on the stone wall that will edge the sitting area...so that was wonderful!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure they are just happy to have you removing it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I mentioned in the other thread that began with the word "new koi" (lol) all the fish have been transferred. It has been a couple of days, and night one there was a jumper. I found him in the dirt, but he twitched, so I put him in isolation with flowing water and air. I had to leave for work, so I ministered what I could, and hoped for the best. Day 2 He seemed to be doing well, and was still keeping an eye on him. Came home from work yesterday and he is nowhere to be found. The edges were low, so I looked everywhere for him in the surrounding area, and even the deeper section where I had him isolated. Nothing, nada, nowhere. So, I think he somehow became something's mid day snack. He was brown with a gold bottom, so he was wicked hard to see in the water anyway. Sad, but not heartbroken, I guess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The other dilemma is water quality. Adding the fish also added some of the algae ridden water from the other pond. I added Barley clear and cleaned the filters. Today I removed some of the water and plan to refill later. Anything else that I should do? Besides read the other threads, that is. I have been over many threads. The algae or muck isn't out of control, but the water certainly isn't clear.

Ask a Question