New Koi Pond Build apox 8'x12'

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
videos have to be uploaded to you tube or similar and then copy that web address to the posts here as an attachment

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a short video it’s not the best but I didn’t have a
Lot of time today. I’ll try and do a better video when I can. I have a few minor things to fix on my waterfall but it will have to wait until it warms up so I can do some more foam work. I also have to figure out some issues with my plumbing thanks for the advice so far I know I might sound like I’m not listening but I am trying. Enjoy the video

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't rush it. Trust me you'll be tinkering for years to come.

Bravo! nicely done some who call themselves a pro wish to be able to naturalize that well. Love the subtle sound of the falls and stream.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have small update on the pond sorry I didn't take any pictures. We had a wild ride the last few days we finally got some snow and the pond and waterfall has started freezing, the ice on my waterfall looks cool. I figured out that there is air in my plumbing not from my aerator and learned that I can be sucking in air and not leaking I haven't seen any leaks on the suction side yet. I also found out the valves in front of my skimmer and my suction grid in the bottom of the pond one or both I have to check when it warms up a little but it might be upside down or stuck. not sure as the priming pot is supposed to hold water in front of the pump, which it does but when I turn on the pump and run it and then turn it off all that water in the line goes out somewhere creating a hammer effect. We don't see any water outside the pond anywhere and didn't notice anything in the pond happening, I will be doing some more testing when It warms up. Also I don't have my pump shed built yet, was hoping to start on it and it snowed. I was not expecting it to snow that soon 24 hours early and forgot to cover my pump so in the morning the pump was covered in snow and the breaker was triggered I thought I lost my very expensive pump only to find out it just overheated because of the snow, I covered her up but have an airway in the back. I was most worried that my bog would freeze and the water would rise up and over an edge but that hasn't happened it seems to working great. I'll keep you posted if I figure out my plumbing issue the snow is finally melting and it should warm up by next week around 40 in the day so I hope I can get some things done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure what pump you bought that can't take being outside. I don't remember seeing even one that demanded it be undercover. More than likely it was just the plug that got wet and tripped. But I'm only making an educated guess ..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure what pump you bought that can't take being outside. I don't remember seeing even one that demanded it be undercover. More than likely it was just the plug that got wet and tripped. But I'm only making an educated guess ..
Thanks for the guess I'm sure the place I purchased my pond kit from was also guessing that the blanket of snow caused the problem. It’s an external helix pump and it can be outside but just have a roof over it to keep water snow off. Hasn't had any problems since and we had some more snow after that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 5.29.20 AM.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I pulled that from the Helix external pump description - not sure what kind you have, but they listed 5 different models.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tripplette and Helix are both VERY reputable I like the little tweeks they have done to the skimmers and bio falls.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a quick update the pump was off a few more times and I still haven’t figured out why I’m sucking in air or why I have a hammer effect in my plumbing when I turn off the pump. I think the issue with the pump and gfci outlets going off is possibly a miss wired connection or short somewhere. I had my landscape lights plugged into another gfci in the same line I unplugged them and so far so good. I also have some leaks in my plumbing after the pump pretty sure I know what I did wrong there. I just repurchased all of that plumbing and when it warms up i will cut out all of that and start over. hopefully I can better diagnose the suction of air as there are no leaks I can see on that side of the pump. I tried using shaving cream to see if any got sucked in with the air but nothing happened I think it might be my connection at the skimmer box. So far I have been running the pump for a week and it hasn’t stopped. Supper bummed out about things but I’ll get there.

Attachments

• 81C4B926-57B6-4F6C-880F-BE7F60A4EB21.jpeg
    81C4B926-57B6-4F6C-880F-BE7F60A4EB21.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bummer indeed, but all least you know where you went wrong. I’m also dealing with frustrating pump issues.

Have you considered the pump itself as the source of the air leakage? Could be at the strainer or the face of the volute or at the shaft seal where shaft enters the volute.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bummer indeed, but all least you know where you went wrong. I’m also dealing with frustrating pump issues.

Have you considered the pump itself as the source of the air leakage? Could be at the strainer or the face of the volute or at the shaft seal where shaft enters the volute.
I just saw your post definitely no fun having pump issues especially with freezing temperatures at night. I checked all the seals on my pump and priming pot and used silicone grease on the gaskets to make sure they were good so I don't think that's the spot I don't have any leaks in those areas either. Hopefully I can continue to run the pump until it warms up enough to do some major work and more tests. Hope you figure out yours as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Landman One possibility for the slamming noise is you have a 3" line coming off the pump that's reduced and choked a little with the 180 degree turn from the discharge going vertically to the street 90's turning the flow downward and then reduced to multiple 2" lines off a 2" pipe.
it looks like they are all reduced in flow by the ball valves which helps but a 2" line on average allows just under 5000 gph that basically means there's a 1000 gallons per hour per 2 inch line. In short the pump is trying to send full volume yet its choked down to 5000 gph Your pump is having back pressure where for the most part is not a bad thing but if your pushing a 10000 gph pump your loosing gph

Ask a Question