New Koi pond is finally (just about) DONE...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I got a little walkway put in and got some bushes and berries planted on the right hand side after filling in the trenches. New mulch put down, added a bench. It will take some time for the new plants to fill in. Probably next fall by the time it starts to fill in.

2017-10-11 04.12.13.jpg

I am testing a bucket heater inside a minnow trap to see if it has any impact at all on the water temperatures. Not much if anything from what I can tell so I'll probably remove it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
so envious by your professional level of work, looking like a real nice sanctuary
notice you don't have a net, guess you don't have birds of prey my me

a few questions on your winter plans as your pond is similar to mine
- what is the depth of the pond?
- what are your plans to winterized your fish?
- plans for plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
so envious by your professional level of work, looking like a real nice sanctuary notice you don't have a net, guess you don't have birds of prey my me a few questions on your winter plans as your pond is similar to mine
- what is the depth of the pond?
- what are your plans to winterized your fish?
- plans for plants?

Thanks for the comment. I'd never done anything like this before. I'd never poured cement or cut blocks or whatever. I didn't even own a dremel tool when I started LOL so I'm really happy and relieved that it turned out as well as it did. I've learned some things for next time haha but I think this is going to be sufficient for a while.

The pond is 5.5' deep at the edges and goes to 6.5' deep at the bottom drains. It's 5000 gallons. For winter I'm planning to build a greenhouse-type cover for the pond and a heated shed for the filtration and try to keep as much running as possible. I may divert the waterfall to PVC dumped directly into the water. Not sure yet about that.

No plans to put any plants inside the actual water. The stuff I've planted will grow up quite a bit but I don't want it hanging over the water. I could set potted plants on the far edge as well.

Long term I'd like to build a pergola structure over the top to add shade/decoration.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks perfect and I like the Pergola idea. It looks tempting to sit on the edge and dangle feet into the water and let the koi nibble your toes :smuggrin:

Ask a Question