New Member From MD

Reaction score
Hi all, have visited this site for several years whenever questions would come up on the pond that I have. A little background, I bought my home in late 2000 with the pond built and stocked by the previous owner. The pond had several different types of fish but mostly goldfish. A small tetra filtering system kit with pump feed a plastic overflow type waterfall. This held strong for many years, although it seemed as though I cleaned it every other day, until sadly doomsday happen for the pond. 1st and foremost, I am to blame mostly for this. Life got tough and works hours got long. I had a hard time keeping up with anything less the pond. It seemed as I had left it for too long, I couldn't get the water clear and the water plants were taking over. I started working on it when I had the time, then one afternoon I was sitting at my desk and heard rock movement and splashing going on. Look outside to see 2 malamutes playing in my pond :censored: , I ran upstair to the deck, yelled, and they took off. So from here I'm not really sure what happen, but I'm guessing some kind of flea/tick treatment destroyed all living life. I only found a few floaters, so I'm assuming the rest were taken by some hungry creature. There may have been a few fish left but at the time, this made me give up on it, and focus on more important things.

Fast Forward....several years later...with the help of a friend, I started to get the pond back in order, by this time mother nature had taken over once again, pond was full of overgrown plants, and the stones around the pond had moved all over the place. So hole dug, liner in, walls kinda built, good start to a rebuild. I've been working on this for over 3 years now when I had time and coming close to a end of the project. In the last 3 years, this forum has been a huge help, and I want to thank everyone that contributes to this community. Pond is rebuilt with shubunkins and comets inhabiting, along with some snails, and the family of frogs that have been there forever. We bought 3 shubunkins and 3 comets from a local pond place over a year ago. Sadly we did lose 1 comet but the 5 remaining became over 20 in a very short time.

The small pump kit was ugraded to a 1300gph uv filter with a pressurized bio filter from smartpond. I wanted more waterfalls, so the outlet got split 3 ways, to create a larger waterfall effect. This is where I've ran into some problems, that I will make another post about in the correct area. Once again, thank you to all. Derek

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
to our group!

Glad to see another frederick county person! Post pictures when you have time!

Reaction score
Here are some pictures while being rebuilt

Attachments

• DSC09850.JPG
    DSC09850.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC09852.JPG
    DSC09852.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC09855.JPG
    DSC09855.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC09858.JPG
    DSC09858.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC09860.JPG
    DSC09860.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC09862.JPG
    DSC09862.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC09864.JPG
    DSC09864.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 243

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome but it does not look as bad as what it seemed like you were saying .But get rid of that filter and build your own you will be happier and it will take less to maintain .

Reaction score
sissy said:
Welcome but it does not look as bad as what it seemed like you were saying .But get rid of that filter and build your own you will be happier and it will take less to maintain .
I didn't take pictures of it at its worse, it has came along way, I actually took the filter back and got a full refund today and made a pre filter a month or so back. I'm going to make another thread about the filtering system, I'm interested in opinions on where to go from here.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you need plants stop on by, got tons. ( filter hint............build a bog takes great care of your pond for you) can you tell I love my bog lol

Reaction score
addy1 said:
If you need plants stop on by, got tons. ( filter hint............build a bog takes great care of your pond for you) can you tell I love my bog lol
Going to have to take you up on that, as I do need more water plants, my one lily was doing great until somehow it got knocked over, now not so much. Maybe I can get the family together for a visit to see your beautiful pond. The adults just got back from our weekend vacation before the week long one with the whole family :blink: so a little swamped right now getting a much done as we can before being gone. What part of frederick are you in, we live in Lake Linganore.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing, how about 5 minutes away.................. we are up off old annapolis, west of 75 east of where it runs into 26.

Enjoy your trip! I am usually here, unless we leave town.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
laughing, how about 5 minutes away.................. we are up off old annapolis, west of 75 east of where it runs into 26.

Enjoy your trip! I am usually here, unless we leave town.
o wow, too funny, I would say I'd ride my bicycle down but not on boyers mill :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Derek, it looks really nice and welcome to gpf. If you add some plants from Addy it will be a nice touch. Make sure you get some parrot feathers if she has any extra!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CometKeith said:
Derek, it looks really nice and welcome to gpf. If you add some plants from Addy it will be a nice touch. Make sure you get some parrot feathers if she has any extra!
My parrot feathers is growing like weeds, it fills one of my small stream ponds. I yank and toss into the big pond ow it stops the water flow. I got some red stem that is starting to take off, finally lol

Reaction score
CometKeith said:
Thank you and I look forward to meeting her in the near future for some water plants

Ask a Question