New member...my pond / waterwheel project

Reaction score
Thanks very much for all of the feedback, it's really nice to get others input on something like this.

Wolfstock, I'll have to check out your pics and see your wheel! The walkway is functional. I planted the tree on the left as it serves to justify the curve in the walkway. I may have to find a dwarf style tree / shrub for that location as your likely right about it being trouble down the road. I had hoped I could keep it pruned back. The lantern was positioned so that the light fixture would hang directly centered over the walkway as you enter, and I'll have to keep it there as I used more than 300lbs of cement to anchor it. ha ha
I suspect that your right about the camera angle, as all of the pics were taken from the right side. The pics don't show the same view as if you were walking towards it in my yard. I will try and take a few more pics shortly.
Thanks,
James

Reaction score
james06scl said:
Thanks very much for all of the feedback, it's really nice to get others input on something like this.

Wolfstock, I'll have to check out your pics and see your wheel! The walkway is functional. I planted the tree on the left as it serves to justify the curve in the walkway. I may have to find a dwarf style tree / shrub for that location as your likely right about it being trouble down the road. I had hoped I could keep it pruned back. The lantern was positioned so that the light fixture would hang directly centered over the walkway as you enter, and I'll have to keep it there as I used more than 300lbs of cement to anchor it. ha ha
I suspect that your right about the camera angle, as all of the pics were taken from the right side. The pics don't show the same view as if you were walking towards it in my yard. I will try and take a few more pics shortly.
Thanks,
James

Wow - so that being the case - how high is the bottom of the lantern? From the pics it looks like it's about 5' high, but if it's a functional walkway it must be at least 6'-7' right? If so then wow that's a bigger setup than I thought.

How big is the water wheel?

Reaction score
Thanks Jethro 13... glad you like it

WolfStock, The lamp post is 9'4" above ground, clearance from the walkway to the bottom of the light fixture is 6'4". It should be a little more, I was thinking that I could gain some height by adjusting the bracket that it hangs from.
The water wheel is 5' in diameter, I haven't actually weighed it, but having moved it around enough, I'd say it is well over 100lbs. The distance from the wheel, down the creek to the far end of the pond at the skimmer location is about 40'. It took 55' of 2" flex pipe to reach from the skimmer back to my filter (another project) behind the wheel / shed. That's partially why the pics are from the right side, as they show the whole project without having to be to far back with the camera to fit the width in from the front, if that makes any sense.....ha ha. I guess everyone with a pond project can relate to one thing leading to another, that's how this project kind of developed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no kidding james06, our "little" pond project has lead to the whole fenced area close to the house being relandscaped. All grass going away. Sill will have acres to mow, just not these bad slopes. lol

Reaction score
Finally got some pics here to update the progress...

I've added the fence and some grass behind the pond, and started work on the stone pillar around the 4"x4" support for the water wheel. Also mounted some of the pond lighting on the boardwalk. Also included is a pic of my filter set up which is located on the side of the shed behind the wheel.

Attachments

• DSC_1427.jpg
    DSC_1427.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC_1426.jpg
    DSC_1426.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC_1425.jpg
    DSC_1425.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC_1421.jpg
    DSC_1421.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC_1419.jpg
    DSC_1419.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 374
Reaction score
View from the backyard....

Different parts were constructed earlier, namely the actual shed, so within the next year or so it should all take on a more uniform appearance.

Attachments

• DSC_1418.jpg
    DSC_1418.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 376

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
very nice..... is that a DIY PRESSURE FILTER? looks like one i was contemplating building to put inline before my skippy style 70 gal. are you happy with it? i love your board walk and bridge set up... cudos to you sir, its a beautiful setting!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
:dunno::bowdown::bowdown:

This is a dream Garden Pond! A true Masterpiece.

I love the waterfall, do you have plans/drawings for the build?

Reaction score
Koiguy1969,
Thanks for the feedback, The filter is a diy, the barrel ($16.00) was previously was used to ship olives. My setup is not pressurized, I added both a vent to the top as well as the overflow outlet. I imagine it could easily pressurized as the threaded lid has a heavy duty looking neoprene type gasket. Ironicly a good deal of credit goes to people like yourself who take the time to post diy threads with detailed build instructions. I did a fair bit of reading on filter styles, among them your instructions on the 70 gallon skippy style filter on which mine is based, so thank-you very much. My filters' construction and success is in large part due to your efforts!

Dr.Dave,
Thank-you very much, as anyone who has built a pond themselves knows, it's a lot of work and it sure is nice to hear that people enjoy your efforts.
Ironically I never actually intended to build the pond here, it was more of a necessity to provide me with a large enough "reservoir" so to speak for the water wheel and stream. Originally I only planned a vanishing stream off of the wheel.
I don't really have any plans other than the chicken scratch on my lumber yard list for the various parts. Most of it was just thought up at coffee breaks, etc, and while waiting to fall asleep at nights. The wheel plans do exist as they were simply scaled down from an actual working wheel, from a book my Dad has. I do not recall the title / publisher, but I can get it if you'd like.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thanks for the appreciation... glad i could be of a help to ya, and glad everythings a success...once again your whole setup is simply georgeous. its magazine ready.... you may want to go on tetraponds site and enter a few pics in their contest. they award pond supplies as prizes. i think youve got a good shot!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Totaly agree with the forum
You got a Super Pond James ... Eye Candy were ever you look :lol:

Ask a Question