New member...my pond / waterwheel project

Reaction score
James - wanted to ask you one thing. You mentioned you had to "slow down" the wheel some, due to oversplash in the back. How did you do this, if I may ask?

Reaction score
WolfStock said:
James - wanted to ask you one thing. You mentioned you had to "slow down" the wheel some, due to oversplash in the back. How did you do this, if I may ask?

Sure....
I used a valve over the wheel to control the exact amount of flow that I needed, and the rest of the water is diverted under the wheel. Basically, all the water exits from the filter, the lowest or 1st outlet goes to the top of the wheel where the control valve is. The remaining water uses the 2nd outlet, (located a little higher in the filter) and goes to the bottom of the wheel reservoir. The 2nd outlet has the capacity to return all the water to the pond, so I can fine tune the speed or even shut off the wheels valve, and stop the wheel. This keeps it from spinning to quickly, and greatly reduces the water lost from splashing and centrifugal force.
Hope that makes sense.....

Reaction score
Yeah it does - thanks. Something I hadn't thought about, but might be do-able in my case as well actually.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow James it can't get much better than that.............you have a superb setup
sweet89.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that looks so good and would make a pretty pic for a wall or maybe someone should make a calender of some of the ponds here

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
I built a water wheel years ago, but yours would of but mine to shame, design of the wheel great! well done from an avide fan . a credit to our craft.....retired bench joiner from england.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't have a clue on what a bench joiner is............can you fill me in?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bench joiner

Entry requirements

There are no set entry requirements to train as a bench joiner, although GCSEs/standard grades in Maths, English and Technology may be helpful for the calculations, measurements and theory.

Apprenticeships are the usual route in and enable you to earn while you learn. Entry to an apprenticeship scheme will usually involve a selection test.

The benefits

The Building and Allied Trades Joint Industrial Council (opens new window)agrees wage rates annually. Pay rates for apprentices in Scotland are set by SBATC (opens new window). A good basic wage is available and can be boosted with the incentive schemes that many companies offer

The Job

Bench joiners prepare and assemble doors windows and staircases, ready for installation. They also create fitted furniture, such as wardrobes and cupboards for buildings. Become a bench joiner, and you will be mainly workshop based.

Please note: In Scotland, this job is done by a Carpenter and Joiner.

The People

Accuracy is crucial in bench joinery, so you will need to be careful and methodical. You will need to be able to follow technical drawings and plans closely and have a high level of practical competence. You will have to be fit to work with all the timber and be able to work as part of a team.

See what Rachel Moth says about being a bench joiner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks tmann...........I guess we'd call them a carpenter or woodworker here eh?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That may be an insult to a more highly skilled trade. Joiners work to much higher standards than carpenters.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really? I would think that anything Jesus or Joseph did for a living would be quite an honorable profession :rolleyes:

Ask a Question