New member...my pond / waterwheel project

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am shocked you would go there jw.

Nobody said that the carpenter trade is not an honorable profession. His job just requires a higher skill level. There are finish carpenters and rough carpenters. The guys that build houses are not normally building furniture, cabinetry and such.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh DrDave I am shocked that you are shocked :rolleyes:
Just meant that it was a fine profession to be in and that whatever you call it one should be proud to be involved in it. Wasn't trying to insult anybody by comparing Bench Joiner to Carpenter or Woodworker. I don't know what the skills entail in being a Bench Joiner so no harm meant. Hope I didn't electrocute you too badly :lol:

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
carpenter fix units that us bench joiners make, ie: we make doors etc, they fit them so bench joiners comes from making at or on a bench [constrution] whilst carpenters fix to or install ready made units....hope this helps

whiskey

Reaction score
plus you also get wood turners [lave working-carving] millers who prepare timber [section-saw-cut to size] i could go on, like trees, it to, has many branches.

Reaction score
Hey James or Whiskey (if either of you happen to read this) -

What can you say about the axle bearings on your wheels? I've got my small wheel (see latest here) that generally is doing OK - but it's a bit noisy, and I think might cause problems over time. I didn't use any real bearings, just filed out the threads from pipe flanges and tried to smooth them out as much as I could. However they're not perfectly snug, and thus they "pop" some as they go around and slightly shift position. I've added grease, though just some that I had on hand that's not ideal, though it still is fairly noisy.

I was thinking of doing some kind of real bearings, but thinking that if I could find something waterproof that it would end up being pretty expensive and probably overkill.

Thoughts?

whiskey

Reaction score
hi my advice treat your self to two pillar block bearings steel with aluminium bar/rod. mine were 30mm ....30mm bearings, bar/rod was 3032 so had to " home" bar/rod to fit. by using emery cloth [fine grit cloth] to reduce outer dia to 3000. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. terry ps mount on A frames.......see my wheel photos

Attachments

• DSC00584.JPG
    DSC00584.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC00584.JPG
    DSC00584.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC00608.JPG
    DSC00608.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 226

Ask a Question