New pond and I'm seeing black squiggles in jelly

Reaction score
Country
United States
As the title suggests, my wife and I have a new koi pond that we've been working to clean up. We have fought green water and just recently got things crystal clear with a UV clarifier and a custom filter setup. During that time, we found some koi eggs and didn't have anything to do with them, so we left them alone and thought the were all eaten. Today, we found a couple of live babies living among the plants.

A few days ago, we found frog eggs and scooped them into a pan to get a better look. I noticed a few black squiggles on top of the water that were too uniform to be hair or anything like that. The are about 1.3cm long and maybe 1cm wide. A few of them seemed to elongate and disappear during the 24 hours it took before we had tadpoles. The tadpoles and the water went back into an area of our pond with a lot of vegetation.

Today, we found the baby kois and caught one. It went into the same container with water from the pond and we picked up a couple more of these black squiggles. I can't find anything like these online and I'm very curious as to what they are.

I have attached a picture. They're thin and hard to focus on, but one of them is right in the middle. Thre seems to be a membrane around the squiggle which can barely be seen.

Attachments

• pond squiggle.jpg
    pond squiggle.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 84
Reaction score
Country
United States
We do have a lot of really big toads around the property, but these are so tiny if individual eggs make up the string.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is really curious. I'd like to know what that is. Hopefully somebody can identify it. Post more pics of it, if possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi redwin, it looks (after google search) like Arthrospira massartii sorry i dont know how to upload a link but if you google it does it look like what you have ? it says it is a type of cyanobacteria (dont know what that is) hope this helps, cheers mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cyanobacteria is blue-green algae.

Don't have a clue about the squiggly things. Maybe put them under a microscope for a better look?

Ask a Question