New Pond build - London, UK - Tips Please

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's a tough situation. I think that you need to figure out where the water is coming from. Can you post a Google maps satellite view without giving specifics to location. Survey the surrounding area, is it just a low spot where all the yards drain into? I'd be concerned and want to know it isn't a leaking/broken service line, maybe to the house directly behind you? Do any of your neighbors have irrigation systems? Maybe there is a broken line they wouldn't notice and would want to fix. I can imagine bad things happening so I think you need to find out what is the source of the water as your priority.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You may have a very high water table. Hopefully you'll get some good suggestions here on how to address this!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. I think it actually might not be as bad as it first seemed.

When I drained it, I couldn't get all the water out with the pump so on second testing this morning, the water under the liner has either drained or because there was water under the stones when I put my weight on the area in the pond that still had some water in it, it was the water inside the pond that ran over my feet....or a mixture of both. I think it's OK now though!

I think it's OK. The area that was really wet clay during the dig seemed pretty solid, and that was where the water still in the pond was. I think I just got soaked stepping into the water rather than the liner sinking down. That's not to say that specific area could be an issue because it was so wet during the dig which prohibited me going deeper than around 20" in that part, but like I said it seemed pretty solid this morning despite rainfall the previous night.

Ask a Question