New pond build

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am almost complete with my latest build. My background is almost 10yrs of pond keeping. I was a member on here years ago during my first two builds. I have since forgotten my login info and had to create a new account. Last year rodents ate into my liner while I was on a two week trip. Unfortunately they continued to eat the liner down to access the water until they created holes low enough the pump ran dry and the system crashed. This happened in the middle of the summer. I lost my three eight year old koi but their one offspring made it. I did not lose a single goldfish. I was so upset with the loss I almost called the quits for pond keeping. My wife talked me into building another. My previous pond was a natural in ground design. It looked great but did not go with our yard. This time we decided on a formal all above ground build using both wood and metal to match a planter box we built.

The pond is on top of a preexisting 10.5’ X 10.5’ X 4” deep cement slab that used to have a shed sitting on it. The ponds total dimensions are, L X W X H, 10.5’ X 10.5’ X 30” filling to just shy of 2100 gallons. The pond is stocked with far too many goldfish and one Koi. If anyone lives in the Sacramento area and would like some goldfish please let me know. The pond utilizes a Dreampond in pond 3” bottom drain connected to a 2” bulkhead. The filtration is handled by a Sequence 750 4200 connected to a TSE Koi ABF 2. The water makes its way back into the pond through two total Pond 14” lite spillways. There is also an Oase AquaSkim 40 in pond skimmer teed into the drain line. Currently the pump does not pull enough water for the skimmer to function properly so I will tee in an external little giant 4000gph into the drain line and run it a few hours a day. The bottom drain has a diffuser incorporated into the top which is fed by a 560gph air pump.

The pond is built using15 5’ 4x4 posts buried in 2’ of cement. The corners are 6x6 buried to 2.5’, cemented as well. To ensure there are no failures of the posts there is a ¼” vinyl covered steel rope belly band 3.5” down from the top of the posts. All the 4x4’s and cap wood is redwood and the rest is pressure treated Doug fir. The sides of the pond are made up of 2x6 redwood stacked, the aft is ¾ ply, and the front is corrugated metal backed with ¾ ply. The rear wall will eventually continue all the way to the top with the same 2 X 8 pressure treat that is being used. Also a shade will fill in the top of the structure. The pond sits in shade for the vast majority of the day with the maximum amount of area impacted by the sun being ½.

So far everything is running great and I am going to let the system mature before making adjustments to the filtration system, if required. I plan to move half of the goldfish out, if I can find a good safe home for them. I will continue to post updates through the completion. If anyone has any questions please ask. I consulted a friend of mine that is a structural engineer prior to the build to ensure all the design and materials would endure the weight of the water. I have completed all the work myself or with my best buddy.

Break down of materials and cost:

Building materials

50 X 50lbs bag cement $175

8 X 4x4x10 Redwood $112

4 X 2X8X12 Redwood $172

4 X 6x6x12 Pressure treat $200

6 X 2X8X16 Pressure treat $192

3 X ¾”X4X8 exterior grade ply $180

1 X Corrugated metal $36

Fasteners $100

Pond materials

Liner 20x20 $260

Plumbing $200

Pump $360

Filter (used) $400

Skimmer $100

Spillways $110

Air pump $30

Total build cost so far $2627

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 20171014_175655.jpg
    20171014_175655.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 20171004_152828.jpg
    20171004_152828.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20171004_152938.jpg
    20171004_152938.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 20171006_165232.jpg
    20171006_165232.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 20171010_161231.jpg
    20171010_161231.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 198
  • 20171014_172727.jpg
    20171014_172727.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 206

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! Welcome to our ponding group!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry you lost your koi, I'm glad your wife talked you into this new built cause it looks great!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome back and been there with rodents chewing my liner also .I put down milky spore to get rid of grubs which the moles that chewed my liner were after

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! One thing I remember from this group is how very positive everyone is. I had a cinder block perimeter set up as a footing around my old pond. I had the blocks placed so that the openings faced the liner. I had a fabric barrier between the two. I would never have assumed rats would get in and destroy the liner. If I had to do it again I would have turned the blocks the other way and back filled with sand or cement. The rats made a tunnel network around the pond. When I pulled the old liner out last week six or so rats went running off. We live at the base of foothills so we always have some pests running around. I always feel bad offing little fuzzy guys but, as proven, they can create a considerable amount of damage. Those are the only fish I have ever lost so it was a total bummer. Pepole that don't love fish don't understand the connection you form with your finned family members.

Sissy, that's crazy the moles were eating into your liner.

One small update. One of the Total Pond spillways developed a leak from the spillway. There is no gasket between the exit and the body of the spillway. it's just plastic to plastic. I will try to tighten it but may end up swapping it out with another of the same. I really like the product and the other one is perfect.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep the chewed it in several spots and my block wall were 2 layers high and solid face on inside wall but they chewed below the block . I am just guessing they figured the vibration from the water was more slugs .Could you use a plastic weld product to glue the 2 plastic pieces back together or a waterproof glue.By the way I love your pond was the metal wire put on to help hold it all together .An added measure never hurts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sissy, great idea on the plastic weld. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what the deal is. It's a minor leak so its not a primary concern.

The metal band increased the load bearing capacity of the posts significantly past their load requirements for the pond. It wasn't required but is good insurance. I will butcher what my buddy said and any engineers please correct me. The total water weight is a little less than 18000lbs. Water is evenly distributed so the pond is considered with 5 walls, the ground being the 5th. 18000/5 = 3600. Considering the 4 vertical walls 3600x4 = 14400. Divide that by the number of posts, 19 = about 760 lbs of water weight per post equalling about 26psi on the post with the maximum force exerted furthest from the bend point where the post enters the cement. I had a great chart that showed the shear strength of 4x4 and 6x6 posts in various woods but now I cannot find it. The failure weight with a safety factor of 2 or 4, can't remember, was something like 1200lbs for the 4x4s and way higher for the 6x6. The minimum failure weight on the steel rope is near 5500lbs. Was it required? No, but makes for good peace of mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome back! What was your old name? The one thing I noticed that you may need to verify is that you mentioned the water is evenly distributed on the 5 walls of the liner. I have read that the pressure of water is much greater lower down on a wall than higher up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks CometKeith! I don't recall but probably something with koi or goldfish in it. Absolutely true about the greater force being near the lowest portion of the body of water. The lowest portion of the post is also the strongest with it decreasing as the lever increases. If the post was 2 feet in cement and 1 foot exposed you couldn't move it manually. Increase the exposed height to 10 feet and you might be able to manually work the post out of the ground. You being correct can be seen in soft sided above ground pools like Intex brand pools where the bottom bellies out. There is no concern for the water crushing the posts. The only concern is the lever force on the location that meets the cement.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure where you live but have you considered winter a freeze .The water may get a lot colder being all exposed .The parts of my pond above ground have the pink foam insulation on the outside of the concrete blocks .I live on the southside of VA and we get cold weather around Jan. and into March

Ask a Question