New pond build

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sissy, we are in California, between planting zone 9b and 10. We discussed cold with the guy we got our filter from. He lives in San Jose and runs a pond construction and maintenance company. He said it wouldn't be a factor with our weather. He maintains multiple 2 foot deep exposed fiberglass breeders without insulation or heat and he said his koi do great through the winter. They are closer to the bay than us but our weather stay extremely fair through winter with only a couple frost days and no snow ever, except once in 1996 for a few minutes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Then your only concern would be heat in the summer and the lack of oxygen .I have my stock tanks on wheels so I can move them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely, heat in the summer. That's my primary weather concern. It is shaded until 4ish. I used a thermal barrier between the metal and wood in front. The rest will never see direct light. I have an aerator in there and the bottom drain so I'm thinking the oxygen levels will be good. I'm also hoping to thin back the number of goldies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pepole that don't love fish don't understand the connection you form with your finned family members.
Very true! I know I wasn't this into it when we first built the pond, I got more and more involved, and selective in choosing the fish with time
.... I'm gonna miss my fish when the top of the pond freezes, and I don't see them for months!
smcrying.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder why my goldfish don't seem to be producing offspring anymore? I keep looking for babies but never see any. I see them spawning. Maybe they are just so good at eating all the eggs up. Kind of glad they don't have any as I have enough fish in the pond now, over 100 prolly!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be they are eating them and the eggs .I had 30+ koi this year and the most I have ever had and still have 15 of them in the pond .$ of them are still all black .I lost some people who wanted fish to foreclosure or other stuff .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wonder why my goldfish don't seem to be producing offspring anymore? I keep looking for babies but never see any. I see them spawning. Maybe they are just so good at eating all the eggs up. Kind of glad they don't have any as I have enough fish in the pond now, over 100 prolly!
jw; I agree with your theory. Once I had 'a lot', I stopped seeing any babies, though I know they're still spawning. If you over feed your fish though, the odds for baby survival go up, so I limit what I give them in the spring. And seeing as to how they munched down a lot of my WL this spring, I can tell they have quite an appetite during that season!

Michael

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I think they are eating the eggs and tiny babies if any ever hatch. I feed them once a day but not too much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very true! I know I wasn't this into it when we first built the pond, I got more and more involved, and selective in choosing the fish with time
.... I'm gonna miss my fish when the top of the pond freezes, and I don't see them for months!View attachment 105456

I don't know how you guys do it in the cold climates. If I can't wear shorts year round I won't make it.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the Fall, but I hate what comes after it...old man winter. I don't know how I wound up living in the Pocono Mountains, but it's my homestead now, and I'll probably never leave.

Ask a Question