New Pond, First Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I am planning to hopefully keep a build of my pond here and maybe I'll keep up with the posting of pics because a thread is useful without them right? I introduced myself in the Introductions forum and will again here for those that do not venture that way often. We live very close to the ocean in Kennebunk, ME and love the water hence where we live. I have dreamed for years of having a large "natural" pond filled with trout and had plans to do something back when we lived back in Ontario, Canada as we lived on 80+ acres there and had all the room for one. Well life happens and things change and now we live in what was our vacation home on 6.5 acres up from the beach. So the scope of the project has changed as well and now planning to build a garden pond approximately, 15wx21Lx3.5D. My Mum has had a pond for many years and my wife always loved to sit by it and listen to the small waterfall hence another reason for the pond and the most important.:)

We (I actually) chose a pond kit from The Pond Guy and received everything a couple weeks ago but I have yet to break ground because of a knee operation a week ago so have been ordered to take it easy. I am hoping maybe, just maybe I will get to start this weekend but we'll see. So I do have a few dilemmas that I will share with you all as I like to have all my details sorted before doing anything.

The pond will be situated close up to an existing flagstone patio but not abutting to it, instead there will be some additional stone placed between it and the patio acting as a ledge. My concerns are:

1) It is very close to an oak tree and I know especially in the Spring and then late in the Fall it will drop a lot into the pond so I will need to keep after netting all that stuff out. No biggie but still a bit of a concern.

2) The location slopes downward across the position of the pond and yes I know the pond must be leveled carefully so am planning to build up the lower side with what I dig out of the pond and bring in additional fill/soil to make it a gradual embankment and not a steep slope. Below is standing on the patio and looking across the pond with the intent of having the waterfalls to the left just in front of the pile of leaves. Obvious this area would need to be raised substantially and the plan is also to bring in some sizeable stone to position around the spillway.

IMG_0829.JPG

Here is another angle, this time looking from the planned shallower part of the pond will be and close to the skimmer.
IMG_0830.JPG

And finally this is an image of looking from the "front" of the pond towards the patio and house. The taller of the trees on the left (in center) is the oak and the one to the right is a flowering dogwood. Behind it is a sugar maple.

IMG_0831.JPG

So what are my questions? Well primary is am I being stupid locating the pond here? I want it close and not far away from the sitting area plus I think I can deal with the slope without too much issue albeit it would be easier if it was flat. I think building up in front of where the dogwood is to make it look like an earthern/stone mound with the waterfall located in it. Thoughts? Suggestions?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

A pond will look great there!
My pond is on a serious slope. I used the dug out dirt to make a 7 or so foot high dirt berm on the down slope side to make the pond level. Also dug down the upper slope side of the pond by 4 feet.

So doing a pond on a slope is workable.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think that would be the perfect spot for your pond. What better place to sit and enjoy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reassurance as I am questioning everything as I need all details worked out before starting. I have a plan on paper and need to tweak it a bit but it’s getting close.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reassurance as I am questioning everything as I need all details worked out before starting. I have a plan on paper and need to tweak it a bit but it’s getting close.
Take a rope or a garden hose and lay out the outline of your pond. I did that for ours, it actually ended up about where I had the hose.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, that is my plan to use the garden hose and the spray paint to note the shape/size. Now I also need to incorporate a bog garden because of your great write-up in the construction forum! I had read about them briefly before and liked the idea then but now really like it. Just have to marry up in my head and on paper what type of bog garden it will be and how to incorporate with the waterfalls. :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me i am a bit crazed with the whole pond thing absolutely love sitting on the patio and listening to the water fall and watching the fish, bird , chipmonks , and even a baby duck here's what i would do with your set up water gets pumped from the pond to the bog upflows out of the bog and drains into the small pond right up aginst the patio. where it drains out by a stream that then empties back into the main pond and the cycle starts over again might even do two streams to the pond
Screenshot_20190511-073754.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Me i am a bit crazed with the whole pond thing absolutely love sitting on the patio and listening to the water fall and watching the fish, bird , chipmonks , and even a baby duck here's what i would do with your set up water gets pumped from the pond to the bog upflows out of the bog and drains into the small pond right up aginst the patio. where it drains out by a stream that then empties back into the main pond and the cycle starts over again might even do two streams to the pondView attachment 120789

I like that, Tks! Funny is last night I decided to do similar to what you have drawn with the exception of the small pond and stream. Rather I was thinking of the bog to left as you have it and that cascading into the main pond. Your idea really enhances but I think my wife may kill me if I go too big. I tend to do that type of thing and she is always trying to rein me in. I will ponder your idea some more and see how I can “sell it” :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome from another "Mainah!"
As you plan your layout, keep in mind your piping and power supply for the pump(s). Ideally they both want to be accessible without disturbing the infrastructure of the pond and rock borders. This may not be entirely possible, but shoot for the maximum.
As for the leaves in the fall, a net over the pond saves a lot of skimming. I shut down my skimmer during "leaf season" to prevent the skimmer from getting clogged with leaves and starving the pump. (There are "magic" leaves that will always find their way in in spite of a net and two or three oak leaves are all it would take.) Ironically, most of the leaves are blown in from ground level rather than falling in from the trees.
Most important, enjoy the process! You have a blank canvas and a wonderful place for a pond site!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So an absolutely gorgeous spring day up here in Kennebunk and after cutting the grass I am laying down the outline of my pond. My plan now is the bog garden would at the front left of the first photo and be in addition to this outline. The bog would be approx. 3W x 8L x 14” deep. The main pond will be 13W x 18L x 3.5-4’ deep. Obviously the shape will mean that not the whole Pond will be that size as that is the maximum.

C423D172-DF1D-404B-B031-DBC30825F2BF.jpeg

C0D31939-9E04-4288-8CFF-4C97A95BB22B.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome from another "Mainah!"
As you plan your layout, keep in mind your piping and power supply for the pump(s). Ideally they both want to be accessible without disturbing the infrastructure of the pond and rock borders. This may not be entirely possible, but shoot for the maximum.
As for the leaves in the fall, a net over the pond saves a lot of skimming. I shut down my skimmer during "leaf season" to prevent the skimmer from getting clogged with leaves and starving the pump. (There are "magic" leaves that will always find their way in in spite of a net and two or three oak leaves are all it would take.) Ironically, most of the leaves are blown in from ground level rather than falling in from the trees.
Most important, enjoy the process! You have a blank canvas and a wonderful place for a pond site!

Thanks Tim! Where are you about in this great State of ours? Yes the “infrastructure” of the power supply and any access piping will be carefully laid out to ensure it’s easy. I hope.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is the bog garden outlined with hose. The plan would be this would be higher than the main pond allowing for a small waterfall. In addition there will be a lot of landscaping done around and in front of the pond.

Now to mark it out and get the Kubota out and dig...carefully.

0CCA9C3F-2814-4451-A55D-39C2316198A5.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
before you break ground
1. call before you dig
2. where is the pump . what size pump
3 how is electric to feed the pump
4. lights
5.skimmer
6. main drain if so you probably need two by code
7. retaining wall ? for patio and are the spoils going down hill to berm that side of the pond/ Scrape back top soil and save
8. rocks / boulders
9 . how will you lift them yes excavator but sling? or tongs?
10. bog is it a stone and perforated pipe or is it to have a settling chamber with aquablocks.
11. is there any desire to increase the size of the patio if the pond draws you out and entertain there more is it too small
12. epdm or other
13. fish or no fish
14. is the bottom to be a bowl for easy cleaning or is it flat
15. koi, bass, trout
16. are you in a wet area will you need a pressure drain below the liner
17. water fall no water fall
18. what will you do about osprey and herons
19. what will you do with water changes is there enough room to loose it in the yards
20. do you want the pond up to the edge of the patio or some grass between
and the list could easily go on and on
I like that, Tks! Funny is last night I decided to do similar to what you have drawn with the exception of the small pond and stream. Rather I was thinking of the bog to left as you have it and that cascading into the main pond. Your idea really enhances but I think my wife may kill me if I go too big. I tend to do that type of thing and she is always trying to rein me in. I will ponder your idea some more and see how I can “sell it” :cool:
My wife thought i was nuts for 7 months the yard was destroyed now she is out there every chance she gets

Ask a Question