United States
before you break ground
1. call before you dig
2. where is the pump . what size pump
3 how is electric to feed the pump
4. lights
5.skimmer
6. main drain if so you probably need two by code
7. retaining wall ? for patio and are the spoils going down hill to berm that side of the pond/ Scrape back top soil and save
8. rocks / boulders
9 . how will you lift them yes excavator but sling? or tongs?
10. bog is it a stone and perforated pipe or is it to have a settling chamber with aquablocks.
11. is there any desire to increase the size of the patio if the pond draws you out and entertain there more is it too small
12. epdm or other
13. fish or no fish
14. is the bottom to be a bowl for easy cleaning or is it flat
15. koi, bass, trout
16. are you in a wet area will you need a pressure drain below the liner
17. water fall no water fall
18. what will you do about osprey and herons
19. what will you do with water changes is there enough room to loose it in the yards
20. do you want the pond up to the edge of the patio or some grass between
and the list could easily go on and on

My wife thought i was nuts for 7 months the yard was destroyed now she is out there every chance she gets

My wife didn't think I'd fill in her swimming pool! Hahaha! Fooled her! :)

Same result - after the consternation, and seeing things come together she got right into the flower/gardening aspect.

(sorry about the hijack)

Reaction score
Country
United States
before you break ground
1. call before you dig

No need as we live on 6.5 acres and built the house so know where all the lines are located, both water and electric.

2. where is the pump . what size pump

3 how is electric to feed the pump

Separate GFCI multi outlet will be setup and wire from the main panel.

4. lights
Got them.

5.skimmer
Got it.

6. main drain if so you probably need two by code
No code applicable for my area based on convo with planning officer.

7. retaining wall ? for patio and are the spoils going down hill to berm that side of the pond/ Scrape back top soil and save
Yes I have plans for this.

8. rocks / boulders
These are pending.

9 . how will you lift them yes excavator but sling? or tongs?
Already have a set of straps for the stones and boulders involved.

10. bog is it a stone and perforated pipe or is it to have a settling chamber with aquablocks.
Pea gravel will be used.

11. is there any desire to increase the size of the patio if the pond draws you out and entertain there more is it too small
Nope all good there.

12. epdm or other
EPDM

13. fish or no fish
No fish as not allowed in ME.

14. is the bottom to be a bowl for easy cleaning or is it flat
Flat.

15. koi, bass, trout
Nope. Not allowed Koi or goldfish, trout need a pond deep pond (16’ deep) and bass is not my cup of tea.

16. are you in a wet area will you need a pressure drain below the liner
High and dry.

17. water fall no water fall
A small one from the bog to the pond.

18. what will you do about osprey and herons
Not applicable as no fish.

19. what will you do with water changes is there enough room to loose it in the yards
Yes, plenty of room.

20. do you want the pond up to the edge of the patio or some grass between
There will be a separation made of large flat stones.

and the list could easily go on and on

My wife thought i was nuts for 7 months the yard was destroyed now she is out there every chance she gets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Tim! Where are you about in this great State of ours? Yes the “infrastructure” of the power supply and any access piping will be carefully laid out to ensure it’s easy. I hope.
I'm about 40 minutes north of Portland just outside of Freeport. Of course you know that every distance in Maine is measured in 20 minute segments...anything less than 20 minutes is "just down the road." :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
One thing check what kind of predators you have .I had to get security cameras .I thought I had a leak but turned out the deer thought they had a new drinking spot .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Luckily any predators or other animals are usually restricted to outside the 5 foot fence that we have for our dogs. We have multiple deer feed far out on the front lawn but that is about 100 yards from the house. We have been having a lone coyote walk through our place in the middle of the day which is really surprising. They tend to be unseen than seen so have been watching to make he/she is just passing through. Our property borders over 200 acres of conservation land so we definitely have wildlife, no moose though!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought it was you can't get thare from hair!!!!!! NO TYPOS

I just left Maine a few years back I was part of the Main Power reliability program

Reaction score
Country
United States
So construction has started albeit only fitting the skimmer. Hole needs to be expanded but at least it’s started. Out comes the Kubota!

20550B0F-995E-4756-95F6-6C2F8E7AFF89.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you may want too rethink the leveling of both sides before digging to depth. it would be much easier digging to depth toward the deck the work your way out how deep are you planning to make the pond.? i would go for 4 foot min as the temps can stay below 34 for a good spell in Maine i know your on the coast but the extra foot would help keep 34 degrees a possibility for the fish. i would also keep in mind water run off make sure the pond can have banks to keep running rain water out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD, agree with your suggestion and will be going to 4’ at the deepest. However I am following The Pond Digger’s advice about making sure to get ones level correct before digging deeper. This advice makes sense to me after reading about many people building ponds and finding out after it is not level. What are your concerns with making it level now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would take me a couple of weeks to do what you've done in a couple of hours!

Good thing I don't have that Kubota around here! :) :)

Agreed Tim, the Kubota sure helps around the place. She is my second and it is incredible the number of things you can think of that a tractor can tackle.

Ask a Question