New Pond, First Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks @addy1, it’s slowly coming together. The water hyacinth was driving me a bit crazy with getting stuck at the skimmer so I added this temporarily.

View attachment 122514

Plus I then remember floating options to corral them together. My wife came up with this idea and it was only a quick trip to Ace and about $5 including hose and connector. It’s tied with fishing line to a stone in the deep area of pond.

View attachment 122515
When I had a skimmer years ago, I strung a thin string across the pond a couple feet from the skimmer and a little below the water surface that would catch the roots of floating plants. It still allowed the skimmer to catch surface junk, but prevented the floating plants from getting too close to the skimmer.
The string wasn't that noticable, but I suppose fishing line would be hidden better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bravo looks very natural ... no string of pearls in this mans paradise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @addy1, it’s slowly coming together. The water hyacinth was driving me a bit crazy with getting stuck at the skimmer so I added this temporarily.

Plus I then remember floating options to corral them together. My wife came up with this idea and it was only a quick trip to Ace and about $5 including hose and connector. It’s tied with fishing line to a stone in the deep area of pond.
knowing Maine as well as i do and the wilds here's what i would do i would go out and collect differ ant types of local moss and stuff them between your rocks and liner and watch how fast it becomes a extension of mother nature at the foot of your patio. Think twice about a few fish though they fertilize your plants . if you are at a local store and see one fish being chased it's probably a female " easiest way i know to sex fish " try to get one sex or the other if you don't ant hoards of fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks @GBBUDD, I have thought about moss but have been hesitant to pick any from the wild because I am not sure it’s legal and I don’t want it to die on my hands. I know there are ways of encouraging miss to grow so may look into that.

I need to go get my big piece of driftwood still but have been traveling for work a lot. Was in Key West last week, really like it there and the heat wasn’t that bad at all. Some people love it and some hate it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing much new with the pond, just my wife and I sitting out daily enjoying it. Still have not picked up the large driftwood piece that will cover the falls as I have yet to reach out to the conservation trust where the piece is located. Also it’s busy season up here with tourists and don’t want to give them any ideas about picking up anything and driving home with it. I do want to get a lotus plant but that will be next year I am thinking unless it makes sense to get one now and then over winter it in the deep area of the pond?

Water is still crystal clear so the bog is doing it’s job well. There is a bit of algae growing as you can see in the pic below.
5314326A-AEBD-44D5-A32D-15F63473D005.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You may find it hard to find a lotus at this time of year - unless a local pond store has some in stock. We order ours bare root and unless we get them ordered before the end of March, it's hard to find them. If you do have a source for one that's already growing, then no reason not to get it now and enjoy it for the rest of the season!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you find one move it really carefully, they don't like being disturbed once they start growing.

Ask a Question