new pond rebuild

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
36" will work fine for ponds that don't freeze solid, or just barely freeze solid and have a good air supply to keep a hole in the ice. Solid freezes and ponds that will be iced for more than a week need to be deeper than 36" 48" would be minimal I would consider, 5'-6' is really more realistic and a must if your even thinking about keeping koi out doors over the winter!

Reaction score
thanks for the information, i will have to change my plans and adjust the size of the pond i will have one area at least 48 inches, i will be digging today will post pics of my progress.

Reaction score
lots of digging, only at 40inches at the deep end 8 more to go, not sure if i want to slope the sides or go straight down any suggestions? i hope to finish this by sunday

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 209

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if you get raccoons or herons go straight down so they have no way to get into the pond or now I my case dog .You can put in a plant area by putting in an area that is unaccessible .I use crates to hold my lilies up and cut 2 holes in the crate for a hide spot for the fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My sides are straight have never had an issue with collapse. More water area also.

Ask a Question